1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 6 1/2 week old silkie is itching her chest like crazy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vfem, Aug 8, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I've been watching her run backwards itching her chest for several days now. It got pretty bad where she would fall on the floor and roll for awhile pulling and pecking. Its ONLY this one spot on her chest which I'm sure she's aggrivated to death by now.

At first I thought maybe its mites, but she itches no where else, and my other chick she's with 24/7 does not do anything remotely like this. I also checked her skin and see no signs of irritation (but with the black skin on silkies its hard to tell something like that).

I'm just wondering if and how to treat the skin, or god forbid could it be internal?

She was calming down yesterday morning and not bothering so much with the itch or whatever (maybe pulling feathers?) but this morning she was in the run itching and he head was covered in mud from dragging it across the ground running backwards again?!?!?!

2. krieglee

krieglee New Egg

May 4, 2013
    I am having the same problem right now. Did you ever figure out what was wrong or how to resolve it?
    Thanks Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by