my 6 little friends

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by valibby, Jul 18, 2011.

1. valibby

valibby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Nanaimo
    So 3 weeks ago I had a broody Buff Orpington named Gloria who'd been sitting on eggs (fertilized elsewhere, we have no rooster) for 2.5-weeks, but she kinda sucked at it and I was pretty sure she'd killed whatever might have started growing in there. So, on a preschool field trip to the farm, I bought 6 week-old heritage breed chicks. I briefly thought of attempting to introduce them to Gloria under cover of darkness, but soon ruled that out as they were way too cute to risk it. Anyway, at the farm, I picked my chicks based on color, grabbing them out of the horse stall they were being raised in as best I could. The farmer gave his best guess as Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Araucanas. They were all hatched at the same time and all mixed together. The only ones I've got pegged are the barred rocks.

They were named mostly by my children without the gender of the chick in mind. Perhaps you can help out with gender at this age also?

[​IMG]
    This is Ben. He was named after my friend's 4.5-year-old son, Ben, because both Ben-child and Ben-chick like to jump and flap a lot, and Ben-chick was by far the jumpiest, flappiest one of the bunch when they were first brought home.

[​IMG]
    This is Yibah, the runt. Notice the crooked beak. He was named after Ben's little brother, because the real Yibah is also a runt AND has a speech delay, and the real brothers insisted that if there was a Ben-chick there had to be a Yibah-chick.

[​IMG]
    This is Barney. He was so named because my three-year-old was holding him and patting him on the head, and announced "this chick is very boingy". Except I couldn't figure out what the hell he was saying at first and guessed Barney, so my son decided that was his name. Barney is camera shy.

[​IMG]
    This is Cindy, at least I think so. I was sick for a week and they really feathered out in that time, so I don't know which is Cindy and which is Bernice. Cindy, if this is her, used to be the yellowest one. She was named after Cindy Seahorse, the Bobs & Lolo song if anyone is familiar. Except my daughter just told us her name was Cindy without explanation at first and my husband and I were confused, as we didn't think we'd ever mentioned his ex-wife in front of her.

[​IMG]
    This is Bernice (or Cindy). Our church puts on a free community lunch every week, and we go regularly. They give us the leftover soup and sandwiches from peoples plates, plus veggie scraps, for our big chickens. One the last day before summer break, I took the chicks in a clear plastic bin as a cute way of showing all the patrons who they'd been feeding. They were a big hit. Bernice is a big animal lover and a bit... slow. At the time we hadn't named all the chicks yet, so I named one after her. It made her week. We would like Bernice-chick (or Cindy) to be a girl because Bernice-human really wants her namesake to be a good layer.

[​IMG]
    This is Cat. What can I say - he was named by a 3-year-old.

And the rest of the Picasa web album, if interested:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/104781...&authkey=Gv1sRgCJqk6rb5qofdBw&feat=directlink

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    My best guess on the sexes:
    Ben - pink comb, boy
    Yibah - flesh comb, probably a girl but being a runt could be a slow developing roo
    Barney - dark barred pattern and flesh colored comb in the other pic on the link, girl
    Cindy - big pink comb, she's a boy [​IMG]
    Bernice - flesh comb, girl [​IMG]
    Cat - almost no comb, girl and I love the name!

They don't look like they are heritage breeds by the way, they look like hatchery birds to me but they will still lay nice eggs. [​IMG] If the farmer said some were Araucanas, I'd guess Ben and Cat are Easter Eggers and you will probably get green eggs from Cat. Looking at the color of Yibah's legs she's probably an EE too. It's a little hard to see her comb but it looks like it could be a pea comb which would confirm EE.

Have fun with them, they are very cute! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. valibby

valibby Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Nanaimo
    Thanks! We had guessed on Ben and Cindy both being boys based on early cock fight behavior between the two of them. Really ridiculous looking.

I'm hoping Yibah-boy's Gramma will be willing to adopt Yibah-chick. They have acreage and other chickens and she may even have the patience to care properly for the cross-beak he has going on. Ben-boy would also want Ben-chick to be adopted, too, so if they do turn out to be boy-girl that could be awkward once they grow up and become a mating pair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by