My 6 week old baby chicks are dying and I'm clueless - could really use help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alcstreetman, Apr 23, 2019.

1. alcstreetman

alcstreetman In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2019
    Athens, GA
    In a nutshell, I got 6 chicks that were approximately 1-2 weeks old. One started to look sick about a week after I got her and she still isn't great, but she's not my immediate concern. (just an FYI - when she started to seem sick, I treated the flock with corid for 7 days as I was worried they might have cocci even though I saw no bloody poops).

The one that always seemed the healthiest was my EE, last Saturday she seemed less active, but it wasn't alarming, by morning, she wouldn't walk. Once I noticed, she went downhill fast. We moved her by herself and about 15 minutes later, I watched her die. It was heartbreaking. She was so healthy. She has no symptoms other than the night before, she was easier to pick up and didn't seem as active.

Two days ago, (so they're right about 7 weeks) I noticed my second healthiest seemed less active, though she has always been calm. She was still eating and drinking but it had me concerned so I got some nutri drench and some meal worms in hopes that it would give her some energy. This afternoon, she was laying there and wouldn't get up, finally she got some water but she's in a dire situation now. She won't open her eyes, won't stand. She looks just like my EE did before she died. I do not understand. I've read so much and nothing seems to fit. A respiratory infection seems unlikely as they've never coughed or sneezed and have no drainage... they seemed so healthy.

In case anyone is wondering, they are eating purina start and grow medicated. They have only been inside... they've already had a corid treatment and they are on medicated feed. I just recently moved them to the garage, I turn the red lamp off unless the temp dips below 60 which has only happened a few nights. I think the temp is fine and they're mostly feathered. I did see lice on all of them two weeks ago but I dusted them and haven't seen anymore, I was going to dust again tonight to make sure anything newly hatched would also die.

Mareks.... are they too young for this? Could this be it? I've read through posts, I'm just at a loss and I'm wondering if I should give up on raising chickens before I kill more.

2. It frankly doesn't sound like Marek's to me. It almost sounds more environmental. Were they close to your kitchen while inside? Teflon pans give off fumes that can kill birds, as can some kinds of heat lamps, and aerosols are dangerous aroud them, too. While in the garage, are they ever around a running vehicle?

3. alcstreetman

Apr 11, 2019
    Athens, GA
    They were in the kitchen! I suppose this could be it but the current one who is sick, started after we moved them to the garage, they are not exposed to a running car there at all. I was reading that medicated starter feed can cause a vitamin B deficiency... Any thoughts on this?

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    How much Corid did you use when you used it and what did you dust them with?

5. alcstreetman

Apr 11, 2019
    Athens, GA
    I used 1/2 tsp in a quart of water for 7 days. When I dusted them, I put sevin dust around their vent and DE under their wings and then provided a dust bath with wood ash. They have not been outside so I'm not sure it's cocci but I started another round of treatment just in case. They've never had bloody poop but I read that certain strains don't cause that. Ugh. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what to do now!

6. I've always avoided the medicated starter, as it realy won't prevent much of anything, and it just pumps unneeded antibiotics into them, which I am strongly against. Antibiotics have their time and place, but not for babies, IMO.

As the last poster asked, how much Corid did you use for your dosage, and what did you dust them with for the lice? Lice can really suck a bird dry, causing anemia so bad that it can kill them.

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Get some permethrin and triple check the remaining ones for lice asap.
    DE won't rid lice.

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    There are no antibiotics in any 'medicated' feed sold in the US.

9. Coccidosis is a nasty disease, and they don't have to be outside to catch it! I've had a strain show up from flies they were catching when they were 2 months old that killed my favorite of the bunch within 8 hours of the first symptom. And other strains just seem to come from nothing, as they are endemic, and we can literally carry some in on our shoes.

10. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble, but please don't give up! You will find good answers here, but even if you lose more of your babies or even all of them, it may not be because of anything you did or didn't do. And even if it was - I hope you will chalk it up to experience and call it a lesson learned and STILL try again! We were all novices once, we all had to learn! Chickens are birds and can be delicate and a little tricky if they get off on the wrong foot. But the joy these little critters can give, as we've all found, pays off in spades!

We ordered 21 baby chicks in mid-February. It happened there was a bitter cold snap during the week they were shipped and I couldn't cancel the order... The little warmer they were shipped with wasn't up to the task of keeping them warm at those temps and we got a box of dead chicks. Heartbreaking! But the supplier sent us a duplicate order the following week and all but three survived. They are six weeks old now and doing great! Hang in there! I'm glad we did! (((Hugs!!!)))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: