1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 6 week silkie chick has a folded up foot !!! Can I correct it ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by honestgilly, Feb 21, 2013.

1. honestgilly

honestgilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Ct.
    Hi I just bought 3 silkies and they seem healthy , but when I got them home I noticed the white ones foot was folded under all the toes are curled over to the side ! It doesn't seem to affect her but I would like to correct it . I am brand new and need all the help I can get !!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Can you post a picture of the foot? At this point I don't think it would be possible to fix it without vet supervision.

3. honestgilly

Feb 21, 2013
    Ct.
    Ill try to post a pic , tommorw it kinda looks more like her ankle is twisted over , but she is very much used to it ,

4. Poinsettia

Poinsettia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Hi,
    I was talking to a friend about your chick with the curled foot. She said some people have used baby
    Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron )sold at Wal-mart, putting one drop on a little piece of bread once aday. After sometime the foot started to straighten out.

Hope this helps.

5. honestgilly

Feb 21, 2013
    Ct.
    Poly vi sol what is that ??? I feed it to them ??really ok !!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken it's baby vitamins.

7. Poinsettia

Poinsettia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Correct, it is Baby vitamins. One drop on a little piece of bread once aday.

Hope it helps.

8. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    You can give up to 3 drops of Poly-Vi-Sol directly to that chick. Some people add 1mL to a quart of water for all the chicks, but others say they're not sure the chicks get enough of it. If you do decide to add to the water so all the chicks may benefit, still give the other chick an additional couple drops directly. I personally wouldn't do too much bread, especially since they're so little and I would worry about them digesting it properly.

Oh, and make sure you get the one WITHOUT IRON like Poinsettia stated.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. honestgilly

Feb 21, 2013
    Ct.
    Ok this is great info thanks everyone ,, I'm gonna post the pic tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by