1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 6 wk old chicks are picky with treats.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DaddyChicken, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Yes, they go crazy over crickets and meal worms and they like red worms but they won't touch anything else. I've tried oatmeal, yogurt, raw peanuts, spinach, boiled egg, cantelope, potatos, tomatos, watermelon, squash and probably a few other things that they have no interest in. Will their taste for different foods/treats develop as they get older? I sure hope so 'cause I can't have any picky eaters around here.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes! They are almost always hesitant about any new foods...especially non-moving foods [​IMG]. I thought I had the only chickens in the world that didn't like yogurt; of course now mine love it. Oatmeal - same thing. With little ones, you might try a few raisins (break them in half so they get the flavor). They still won't love everything. Even as adults, only one of my birds likes banana, and a few will back away from leftover spaghetti w/sauce (literally shaking their heads negatively) like it's toxic. Moreso than cats or dogs, chickens remind me of humans when it comes to food in the wide differences of opinions w/food.

3. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Well, I tried raisins and thought I had found something they really liked but their excitement was short lived and it was like they were playing with the raisins just to entertain me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by