My 6 wk olds sleep on the poop board?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gsolo, May 17, 2011.

1. Gsolo

Gsolo New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi I'm new to this ,but i'm having fun. Just got done with the coop and my little ones are spending the nights outside. i've been checking on them once and a while and have noticed that they all settle in for the night on the poop board. my poop board is about 6 inches lower than the roost board , should it be lower to stop them from sleeping there? Is it a problem that they settle in on some of their droppings? Also . Its been a cold wet spring in the northeast. should I keep a heat lamp going to keep the dampness out of the coop till they are a little older? Thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some of mine were settling down on the dropping board too when they first started using the roost. I'd go out and place them each on the roost - just had to do it a few times before they started making the transition. I think it's just because they feel safer (at first) kind of piling, and the dropping board allows them to do that. But I didn't want them sleeping in their own poo, so I was happy when they made the adjustment. I wouldn't adjust your board, because it makes it hard to scrape if it's much closer to the roost. Oh, mine were probably about 8 weeks before I "forced" the idea of roosting on them, so it may just take a bit more time for yours to get it. They had been piling down in the bedding each night before then.
    As for the lamp, my guys are older than yours, and they are not happy with our chilly, wet weather. Although mine have been roosting for at least 3 weeks, the other night when it got down to upper 30s/low 40s, they reverted back to piling in the bedding for a night, so I know they were cold. At six weeks, I'd offer them a lamp (low wattage) in this cold, wet weather, just for nights. Some will say differently, but that's my opinion. The cold wet spell should only last another 2-3 days, at least in my area. Good luck w/your babies. [​IMG]

3. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Quote:Mine are 8 weeks old and still piling on the floor [​IMG] I have shown them the roost and they are all like " So what?!" Guess they will figure it out eventually.

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I keep a heat lamp on mine at night... it has been in the 40's at night and they are about 6-7 weeks old now.
    When I go take a peek... they are huddled under it, so I feel they still need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by