1. eggburritos

eggburritos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Fort Collins, Co
    I wanted to share my coop with this forum because I drew lots of inspiration from others on here. Hopefully it will show that you don't need a ton of money to build a coop. It took about 3 months to gather all of the materials I needed from craigslist, friends houses, and construction sites. This was built to house 6 birds, I currently have 4.

I figure total out of pocket cost to be around $60. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    iy looks EXCELLENT! Great job [​IMG]

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Very cute!!

4. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Love it! I thought of using that same fencing for a run. It is good to see put together with the wiring.

Great job! [​IMG]

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Fantastic!! You did an AMAZING job!!!

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Very cute little coop, but the chicken wire will not keep out a coon, fox, coyote, or dog. If you have any of those around I would put 1x2 welded wire or hardware cloth over it. With a border all around the outside, either buried under ground or staked down to the ground with tent stakes.

Ooops! Just noticed your coop is contained in a fenced in area? A coon or possum could still get in, but probably not any of the canine predators.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Congratulations!! You have found an inexpensive way to supply your family with fresh, nutrious eggs from your own flock!! I have 2 SLW hens in my backyard coop with plans to add 4-6 more in the spring from the feed store. Chickens are a great way to recycle leftovers and kitchen trimmings, plus you are a hero in their eyes when you show up with goodies. Your coop is cute, functional and a testament to the ingenuity of BYC'ers. But where are the pics of your chickies? LOL

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Very nice job!

It looks like hardware cloth over the coop window, so I expect that the idea is to lock the chickens up inside the coop at night to keep them safe from predators that can rip apart chicken wire.

9. CubRed

CubRed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    no flies on that! Congrats!

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Great job! I'm putting together a 'budget' friendly coop as we speak. Thanks for sharing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by