My $62.00 silkie chick!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So here is a video of my single hatchling...making it a $62.00 chick!! [​IMG]

It is a split lavender and I am praying for a pullet. She (told you I was praying for a girl!) was hatched sticky and covered with albumen...and VERY small. None of the other 6 made it past day 18 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Her topknot is still stuck to her head making her the weirdest looking silkie I've ever hatched!

The others are a little over a week old. You can see that she is the ugly one on the right [​IMG] (but she is beautiful to me!)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    The link isn't working for me...[​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:62$ chick ouch...Bet you cant wait for my hens to lay huh? I know I cant it's killing me!! [​IMG] [​IMG] She is cute!! Looks like a nice vault starting???

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I think it's working now...

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    That is one valuable chicka. Hope you get your girl. [​IMG] I hope my eggs do well. [​IMG]

6. lovemychickies

lovemychickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Northern CA!!
    Saw the link! She's a precious little fuzz-butt for sure.
    Worth every penny.

Congratulations![​IMG]

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I have dial up so it will take me about an hour to watch your 37 seconds. [​IMG] But I will tomorrow. Is it the one in the front?

8. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Awwww....he/she is ADORABLE!!! Yes, that's one expensive chick, but just think of how much it would cost if you bought a good, quality lavender chicken!!! They go for some serious money! Hoping it's a pullet!!! [​IMG]

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    She really has a huge vault. What you are seeing is the vault itself...the down is still stuck to it. I had to put her under warm running water the day she hatched (Thursday) to get the stickiness off of her...then a warm blowdryer. I was afraid to touch her vault for fear of injuring her so that's going to have to flake off on it's own! [​IMG]

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:It's the tiny black one...starts out in front, then runs behind the others and comes back out at the end of the video.

The others are 2 black and 1 very light blue. At least the egg was marked "blue"...so I'm assuming it's going to be very light. Things change, of course! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by