My 6wk.old Polish Crested chick died.

Mar 5, 2018
Middle South Carolina
I had 9 of this breed who seemed to be growing and doing well. Yesterday I noticed one lying on the coop floor, which they do often to rest after scratching and wallowing. Later, he had not moved, so I looked inside and he was limp. He was totally emaciated; skin over bone. The crop was flat. The poor thing starved to death! But why was he not eating?? I had not noticed any signs of illness; only 1 seemed to chirp all the time, but I could never see which one it was. Also, in this same brood I have one whose beak is crossed over. He seems to be eating & drinking. He did not have this when I had them in the brooder, or I would have seen it. I have 2 of them isolated now because of pulled feathers from the top of the head. Oh my........PLEASE help me.:barnie:he .

Sorry to hear you lost one of your polish :hugs

What was the crest like? Was it a large crest? Sometimes if they can’t see well they don’t go to the feeder/drinker.

Do you have any other breed’s with them?

Anything else unusual? Poop? Worms? Mites or lice?

Sorry to hear you lost one of your polish :hugs

What was the crest like? Was it a large crest? Sometimes if they can’t see well they don’t go to the feeder/drinker.

Do you have any other breed’s with them?

Anything else unusual? Poop? Worms? Mites or lice?
The crest was pretty well full, as are all the others. Yes, I do have a couple of other breeds in the same coop, but all are eating and drinking well. Nothing unusual that I noticed except the chirping as noted.

It could have been bullied out of food and water or could not find it with the large crest. Unfortunately polish are often at the bottom of the pecking order even at this young age.

Back
Top Bottom