1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 7.5 month old chickens are molting? in mid-winter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GardenTeacher, Jan 5, 2015.

1. GardenTeacher

GardenTeacher Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm a new chicken keeper so maybe I'm being overly cautious but it just doesn't make sense to me that they would be molting now. We live in cold New York. They had roundworm but I haven't seen any evidence lately. They are eating and drinking normally and I haven't seen much pecking... Should I be looking for other causes for the molt that aren't seasonal or age-specific? thanks for any ideas.

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I have two girls that did a "Mini January Molt" two years ago when they were less than a year old. It wasn't a horrible molt - at least not compared to the molt they just got through doing! I did some research at that time and learned a January molt wasn't all that unusual.

I know, doesn't make sense to me that they molt when it's so cold, either. Most molt in the fall. These same girls molted in the fall of this year and just got their feathers back. They resumed laying right before Christmas.

You might want to up their protein a bit so that they can get those new feathers in ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by