my 7 day old chick is trying to take a dust bathe?

maddy14

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
like when i put her on the carpet she will crouch down and like kick her legs out and stuff, you know how chickens take dust bathes... anyway. theres no dirt there and i thought she was too young to do this.. i have her at about 90 degrees right now. is she supposed to be doing this? should i give her like dirt or something

The first time I saw my week old chick do that I freaked out because I thought she was having a fit or had a broken wing! Live and learn!

I thought the little peeps looked all broody when they were doing that, cute as a speckled pup! Guess it's a pretty normal behavior, just something their little chicken brains tell them to do.

i have hay in her box type thing right now, should i give her like dirt or something

lol.png
One of mine did that on the carpet the other day too! So funny!

I put a low sided pan filled with sand in my brooder when they were a few days old. Some like to sleep in the sand and some really get busy taking dust baths. I have 26 chicks. Some like to scratch in it and if they find something they run all around the brooder with it.

Back
Top Bottom