My 7 month old buff orpington just started laying down, will not get up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moms, Oct 14, 2013.

1. moms

moms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    My buff, Butter will not get up layed in her cage all day, up for a brief moment and then plops down again. She is not eating or drinking on her own. I fed her water withntibiotics in with syringe. She ate five bitefuls of yogurt, a piece of bread and some raisins. but she will not walk. Her comb is red and up, and her eyes are bright, but she is weak. What can I do, I fear she will not make it thru the night tonight. She does not seem egg bound, her poop is whitish, and she seems lethagic. I don't know if she ate something bad for her, or maybe messed with something poison like. Does anyone known whats wrong it happened so suddenly. Can she be helped?

2. ukshamo

ukshamo Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    north east england
    sorry to hear I had that problem twice hope this helps

have you ever wormed them? if not then that would be my guess (worms can also be secondary to something else > this re the red spots on the legs) ...
    do you have a compost heap? Keep your birds away from it.
    Use a broad spectrum wormer like ivomec Eprinex would be my advice.
    You might think about giving vit K. If you do not have Avia Charge 2000 (an excellent general complete supplement formulated for poultry available online from McMurry or strombergs) then you can look at your petstore for some baby parrot/bird formula (a powder you mix with water) and mix that in with her feed to concentrate the nutrition. (you can also look in the bird section for a vitamin supplement that has vit K in it)
    I am advising the K just in case she got into some rodenticide (or picked up a few mice turds that had gotten it in their system > the K is for the bleeding that the red spots on the legs MIGHT indicate)

3. simplepleasures

simplepleasures Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I am new to chickens so I don't have any advice, just wondering how your girl is today.

4. freerange4hens

freerange4hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    When my chicken did that, she was also about that age and she died about 3 days later from being egg bound. Same exact symptoms :( I hope that's not case for you, because the outcome doesn't always work out for the best. If you have other chickens, you may need to up their daily calcium intake.

Hope that helps and good luck!

5. freerange4hens

freerange4hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Sounds silly, but could also bring her in and put her in a warm bath. enough to where she can still stand, but so the water goes up past her vent. This will sometimes help them relax enough to pass an egg that may be stuck.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by