My 7 month old ducks haven't laid any eggs yet

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FFAkids, Mar 23, 2017.

1. FFAkids

FFAkids Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    My ducks are fawn and white runners, 2 drakes and 2 ducks. My chickens started laying feb 7 (we got them sep 7). My ducks however never started laying, I'm not really wondering "when" more like will they ever? I've only really heard they lay within 3 to 6 months. 7 isn't too far off but it's turning into 8 and I'm not sure why. In fact, egg production for the chickens has gone up recently to around 8 eggs a day (going up every other day or so. not sure if all of them are laying) from 12 hens (2 roosters). We had recently killed around 11 roosters (nearly a month ago) because we had too much and they had been bothering the ducks so we kept the two that left them alone, and I realise hen to rooster ratio is off but they're actually really well behaved and we have had no problems since we got rid of the others. The ducks roam free around the coop/outside without worry. They have access to sunlight anytime the sun is out, the also have shade. It's certainly not cold, its going up its going to be 66 fahrenheit tomorrow, to me that is average. Considering I live in the desert state, it's certainly not the issue. (its also not too hot, been fairly neutral). They also have access to a pool to swim. They're on chicken layer consistently. If the ducks are laying, they aren't hiding them. I even cleared the coop cleaned it looking, i checked deep just in case; nothing of course.

Are they just late?

EDIT:
    I think they had an egg because I got a new color of egg on the floor and its larger than the regular chicken eggs (maybe around the size of a chicken double yolker) its also very smooth unlike the other eggs, it is more of a mossed pearl irl the photo makes it look more brown
    [​IMG]
    egg
    [​IMG]
    left is one of the ducks and on the right is one of the drakes
    [​IMG]
    All of them together
    [​IMG]
    The egg and how it was when I found it

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    I think that they're just late.
    I've been told that it takes 6-7 months for a duck to lay eggs, and that is around the time frame when mine started; they were a bit late too.
    It could possibly be something else, but if it is, I don't know what. Do your ducks seem happy and relaxed? And are you sure that two are girls? [​IMG] (I know they probably are, just checking).

3. FFAkids

FFAkids Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Oh okay good. Yeah my ducks have seemed better than ever really so they're probably just late. I wouldn't think that they're sad from the roosters. XD yes, the two are girls the other 2 ducks have drake feathers and actually the reason we got rid of roosters because they tried to mate with the ducks way to often

4. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Haha it's good that you know you have two girls! Yeah, I think they're probably just late. Got any pictures?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Do you provide oyster shell for the Hens?......If they need it, they will use it.....Put some out in a separate bowl...Mine started laying at 8 months...:)

Best wishes......

Cheers!

6. Justy0

Justy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Its not too uncommon for ducks to be a little late when starting to lay. But fyi my ducks started laying a little late and it took me a bit to notice because when they finally did lay they buried their eggs in the ground!

7. FFAkids

FFAkids Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Yeah, I checked to see if any were buried but no luck. If I do think they start laying I might just give them a chicken egg and see where they put it and maybe they have their eggs there. For sure nothing so far bc I cleaned the coop a day ago.

8. chickens really

They won't carry and egg to a hidden nest....;)....Probably eat it?...

Cheers!

9. FFAkids

FFAkids Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    no, the hens that are laying have been laying well. Do oyster shells promote laying if they weren't previously?

10. chickens really

I meant your Duck hens....Yes, oyster shell is calcium and helps to build eggs....:)......Without the oyster shell they can lay soft shelled eggs....Then sometimes they just eat those...;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by