My 7 month old silkie broody in Jan? (New Question)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I noticed my girl acting weird yesterday today I checked her and sure enough she is broody on ??? IDK how many eggs I didnt even know my girls was laying even though I have checked everyday HAVE THEY HIDDEN THEM? I guess so, What do I do? I do not have a heated coop and let one hen hatch eggs in November ending in only 1 chick hatching on day 26.

Should I leave her be and see what happens???

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Maybe you can candle them in the dark tonight, and see if anything is developing yet. If not, get rid of them. If they are, you got a few weeks to figure something out. Maybe move them to a safe place in the basement or something [​IMG]

3. Ivy

Ivy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    We too have had silkie hens go broody in January and Feb- we were able to find the hidden eggs, and put them and mama in a small cage inside. The hen does not need much room as pretty much all she does is sit- but once a day she made a horrible smelling poop, so there is some attention she will need- food and water, too, of course. The babies thought they lived in the house, even when we put them outside when the weather turned warm. The hen also thought she belonged inside for a couple of weeks- she would come to the backdoor and tap on it until someone let her in, and took her to the cage where she had hatched the chicks.
    Ivy

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    This is so hard because I dont have any place to bring her in. I am already brooding silkie chicks and a broody being in the house and those stinky broody poops my family would flip.

I am planning on candling them tomorrow see if there is anything going on inside since this hen is only 7 months and my roo is only 7 months even though I know he has been doing the deed with her. I don't even know if the eggs are fertile. I there is nothing going on inside I will toss them. I don't know how far long they would be though

Anyone know a website on the different stages in what to looking for when candling?

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I had one broody in a cold spell last year and all hers hatched. My 7 month old Silkie just went broody and I am thinking about giving her golfballs and puttin the eggs in the incubator. Then giving her the eggs back right before they hatch.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I wish I had a Incubator or I would do that too. [​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I removed my broody girl today and her eggs into a pet taxi with lots of hay and in a warmer draft free area before I put the eggs back with her I candled the eggs. Nothing I saw nothing no viens nothing. It's been a little over 4 days and I know there should be something going on. So I busted one open it was rotten looked like something tried to form but something happened 2nd one i opened had a bactria ring and the 3rd one looked more like it was forming but no viening so I didnt bust the other 4 I gave them back to her. I was not even sure these eggs were fertile but if they had bactria rings and looked like some kinda of forming wouldnt this indicate they was indeed fertile? What should I do with the other 4 eggs??

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:I have a broody silkie and a broody turken right now also- and I cant make the broody silkie go inside the coop, she is behind a board and a WHOLE BUNCH of hay- and I piled the snow around it to make a make-shift igloo. The broody turken is in the coop with the other chickens.

When i candled their eggs, I didn't find but a couple with any development at all- so i stuck them in the incubator, and left them with infertile eggs to sit. If I get any hatches, I will stick them under the broodies....maybe. i am wondering if its too cold for their eggs to develop , then won't it be too cold for them to keep the babies warm?

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    thats what I was thinking that its not warm enough for them to develop right.

My girl still has 4 left but I saw nothing going on in any of them. I'd just hate to tear them away from her she is so sweet even broody she is so sweet I picked her up today and moved her without a fight and handed all her eggs back to her where she could see me and never attempted to peck or flog me.

I have no other chicks I could put under this girl. I have 2 hens laying but not very often I may watch for new eggs and replace the old ones with new eggs.

10. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I am in South Carolina, so it's not as cold, but I also have a Silkie that is sitting on eggs. We decided to let her try to hatch some. We collected eggs from the other Silkie since the first had gone broody and wouldn't get off the nest. We also got a few other hatching eggs and put under her. She is nesting in a box that is inside another box with insulation in-between. It basically has a "roof" and we cut in the entry way. It's filled with straw and she is cozy in there. We also put a heat lamp out there over her just to be sure as the temps are really starting to drop right now. I am hoping she will hatch out ok. Whenever I would use the Silkie eggs I would look for the signs of fertile eggs and it was there, so I think I have a good chance of getting chicks if she does well with the eggs. I don't have a clue about the other hatching eggs as to fertility. I have not candled them yet as I usually have a hard time seeing until at least day 5 and it's only been 4 days so far. It's easier to tell on day 7. I would never throw mine out before then, maybe even longer, until I was sure. I have only hatched eggs once before, and I did it myself. The sitting Silkie is one of the 4 I hatched. [​IMG]

I wish you the best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by