My 7 newly hatched babies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skillswife, May 19, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Yep 100% of my eggs hatched and I now have 7 cuties freshly out of the bator. Aren't they cute [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    [​IMG] The Cutest Ever!!!! [​IMG]

3. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    awww soo cute! [​IMG] i LOVE the one that curled up and fell asleep in the waterer ! lol! adorable. congrats on the great hatch! [​IMG] what breed are they?

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww, they look like dolls when they sleep like that.

I've seen day old wild ducklings just fall asleep all at once while swimming and just float along.

5. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    So I asked my MIL what the ducks she has are. Her response was, a mallard drake, a black drake, a mallard female and a white female and drake. Hmmm that really isn't helpful. Apparently the mallard drake flew away shortly after fertilizing the eggs, lol. [​IMG]

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    They are getting cuter every day [​IMG]
    One concern though....I would put some marbles or something in the waterer so they can't drown in it.Maybe I'm overly cautious but I do that with all my baby birds for the first week or so [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Putting marbles in the waterer like people do for chickens or quail will stop the ducklings from being able to clear out their nostrils.

They sure are cute...I love seeing them falling asleep with their heads in that forward position.

8. kthankzbai

kthankzbai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Wow! 100%?! that's awesome! I'm so excited for you.
    Glad the traditional way of laying them on the side worked for you so well.
    Any tips or special things you did for them? Did you have to help any of them?

They're sooooooooooOooOoo cute. Especially love the one near the water feeder. Congrats!! [​IMG]

9. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I think the biggest thing was keeping the humidity up. I have a syringe with a needle that I would stick down the vent holes and spray, it seemed to help keep the humidity up well, especially when they pipped. I did have to help the last one a bit, mainly because it had been quite a while since it pipped and everyone else was getting crazy in the bator and pecking eachother. So I made sure the bathroom was humid opened things up took the others out and then carefully peeled away the shell where the cracks from the pip were. That seemed to be enough to give the little guy some motivation, then I dampened the egg and put it back in the bater. Wasn't long before it was out running around. I don't think my conditions were perfect by any means but I got lucky, lol.

As for adding marbles, I tried that with the batch of ducklings I had, I didn't hatch them,but they had trouble getting enough water to help them eat correctly. At least with this particular waterer.

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Well,maybe I have no life, [​IMG] but I allow them to do that several times a day...but when I am not watching....the marbles go back in.... anyway,they seem fine and they are as cute as ever! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by