My 7 week and 5 week old chicks!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kla37, Jul 9, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    We just got started with chickens and just love it! They grow so fast, and are really all becoming sweeties (or they just know I am the Bringer Of Treats).
    Our partridge cochin
    [​IMG]
    All 7 weekers in their dusty box. I mixed screened topsoil, sand, and some DE. They love to roll in it and nap in it. There is a buff orpington, the partridge cochin, 2 black autralorps, and one barred plymouth rock.
    [​IMG]
    Our 4 5 weekers, a blue cochin, a splash cochin, and 2 more black australorps.
    [​IMG]

BTW, I would love to let them out in the yard, but I'm so afraid they won't come back to their run/coop! How old should they be before I try this?

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    They are adorable! Great job [​IMG] How long have they been in the coop and run? Usually if they are locked in coop/run for a few days or week they should be good to go. Whenever anything happens scary you will see them all hightail it for the coop and run.

3. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    They have been in there for 2 1/2 weeks. I figured even the little ones would be OK since it's so HOT! They have gotten out of the run, just one, on a few occasions, and I have to catch them to put them back in. We have a completely wooded lot, except for our fenced in backyard where we have a lawn and mulched natural areas with plants and bushes. I'm worried about hawks! I know the dog is some protection, but the littles are just still so little! I think I'm just a worried mommy.

4. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    BTW their run is 8 X12 so I hope that's enough space for them until they are a little bigger and I won't worry so much! I have it completely enclosed in 1/2 " hardware cloth, except the bottom under the substrate, I used 1/4" so things couldn't dig their way in. I even put locks on the run and coop doors, I remember from keeping rabbits as a kid that raccoons are VERY handy at opening latches...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by