My 7 week old chick CROWED!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bravo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    At first I thought it was just some strange noise coming from their pen. I figured that maybe one of the dogs knocked something over...

...and then I saw it with my own two eyes...My 7 week old chick (who we have suspected of being a rooster) was perched on the roosting pole, fluffed himself all up and crowed again!

Since he has found his voice his serenade really hasn't stopped. Now I am scrambling to find this guy a new home before my neighbors eat him lol.

From all I read I didn't think baby roosters started crowing this early! Is this normal?

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Wow, what breed is he?

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Completely normal around here..but only my white eared little heathens start that young though.Hardly any of my others ever crow no matter how old they get.
    And those little ones are so proud of that once they start they won't shut up..it's almost like taunting the big ones..see me I'm here attitude..so funny no bigger than anything and acting so important. [​IMG]

4. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:I am not quite sure. All I can tell is he is some kind of mix. Here is a pic of him at 6 weeks old. His comb has gotten larger and darker red since the picture.
    [​IMG]

Quote:No kidding! This guy has always had an attitude since the day he hatched (the only chick to scream about being left in the incubator immediately after hatching lol). Now that he has a voice he is so proud of himself it cracks me up!

Hopefully I can find this boy a non-eating home where he can be king of the coop and woo his girls with his lovely (yet still scratchy) voice. [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I am not quite sure. All I can tell is he is some kind of mix. Here is a pic of him at 6 weeks old. His comb has gotten larger and darker red since the picture.
    http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/Luvdobes/CIMG5511.jpg

Quote:No kidding! This guy has always had an attitude since the day he hatched (the only chick to scream about being left in the incubator immediately after hatching lol). Now that he has a voice he is so proud of himself it cracks me up!

Hopefully I can find this boy a non-eating home where he can be king of the coop and woo his girls with his lovely (yet still scratchy) voice. [​IMG]

Looks like a Leghorn or White Rock.

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aren't they so cute when they first start crowing! Trying to make it sound just right!

Its the funniest thing sometimes..Good luck in finding him a home. He looks really handsome!

7. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:Thats what I thought at first but he has a few random black feathers on his body so I dont know. Any thoughts?

vnploveschickens :

Aren't they so cute when they first start crowing! Trying to make it sound just right!

Its the funniest thing sometimes..Good luck in finding him a home. He looks really handsome!

They are cute! So proud of himself and he barely weighs a pound! I have another chick we suspect is a rooster that we refer to as "Baby Huey" because he is GIGANTIC (probably pushing 3 pounds and the same age) and not the sharpest tack in the drawer. He just watches the other rooster crow in amazement. I have a feeling that all of this ruckus is going to get him started soon too!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by