My 7 week old chicken has got wry neck.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brodie13, Apr 13, 2017.

1. brodie13

brodie13 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Hello, so I got my 2 baby silkies around 4 weeks ago and had no problem with them at all. However, today one of my chicks started to turn its head and twist it all the way around , it was disturbing to watch and you could just tell how painful it was. So my dad got some vitamin E capsules because that's what's we have been told to get and he mixed the vitamin E gel inside the tablets in with a homemade crushed chicken pellets and water , and this made a paste. So we halfed it between our two baby chicks , also we did separate them and they are in two different boxes just in case the other one picks on him. Then my dad got water and food in little bowl separate and was held of the chicken making sure it had something to eat and drink and then we got one more capsule and got the gel out and put it in its beak. We keep an eye on it , of course it's the 13th of April and this only started this morning , and I'm writing this at night .
    So I am asking , do you guys think I have caught it at the right time (early) so it won't die and do you guys know the possibility of him dyeing. Thankyou!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding?

3. brodie13

brodie13 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Well my dad crushed up normal chicken food and added water and then added the gel from a capsule. And then mixed it all in

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What kind of 'normal' chicken food? Layer, grower, starter?

5. brodie13

brodie13 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Oh right , layers because people told us that it was like chick crumb and we always make sure though that we crush it up so it's finer and easier for my baby chicks to swallow :) so do you have any idea if he will survive , and just letting you know again , this only just started happening this morning. And if you want any more information about my chicks before you say anything , go ahead , I'll answer straight away. Thankyou !

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed can be fatal to chicks. The calcium content is much too high, and the protein content is too low. Get some chick starter ASAP.

7. brodie13

brodie13 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Okay , thankyou so much for that , in the morning we are going to the shop to get starter , I've just asked my dad. So tomorrow we get chick starter. So tomorrow when we do , do you think he will survive knowing that we have caught him doing this quite early on. And because we are treating it now with changing their food ( his food and hers ) and giving him vitamin E , has this lowered the chance of him dyeing because I really hope he doesn't , I love him so much [​IMG]

8. brodie13

brodie13 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Also how long does it normally take them to recover ? And my dad has put a little plushy dog inside because he read it somewhere , is this correct ?

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No idea if you can save this chick or not. Fingers crossed too much damage to the kidneys hasn't occurred and it can recover. A stuffed animal can offer a sense of comfort and give the lone chick something to snuggle.

10. brodie13

brodie13 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Okay I really hope , and yes we have put the stuffed animal inside the cardboard box , where he is. Also , at this very moment my dad had him on his lap for around one hour and he is just still and calm. Is this an okay thing and is this not a sign or anything of danger or anything or is he just relaxing ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by