My 7 week old chicks are scared of the dark and in a tight ball

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I turned off their red light two nights ago because it has been so warm at night. Here they were sleeping on the floor in a tight ball scared. I didnt know it for two nights. I put a tiny night light in the outlet but they still couldnt seem to see. I picked each one up and placed them on the top roost and they didnt move.

What else can I do to make them feel more safe. It was so sad to see them so tight together. Some of the chicks that usually squack when I try to pet them didnt make a sound when I picked them up and put them on the roost. Any ideas of what I should be doing to help them? I have 13 7 week olds.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just make sure nobody is getting crushed and then let them be. They'll get over their fear of the dark and learn to roost before it gets dark.

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I thought they only did that when they were cold. Maybe just raise the red light a little instead of turning it off

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No, even when they are not cold they will huddle together to sleep. They kind of freak out the first few days without their light, but they do get over it.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I leave a 11 watt red sign light bulb on 24/7. I figured, according to my electric bill, it costs me $3.00 a month to run. Like a night light.

6. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I took them out a night light and sat each on up on the roost and when I went back out this morning at 5 am they had not moved a feather. Still frozed in place where I sat them. I will go back out at 7am to sweet talk them about the night with no light. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by