my 7 week old girls first night in their coop

monroeblonde09

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Good olé Texas
OK so I am having a little anxiety because I am putting my babies in their coop all night. They were in there all day today and yesterday but came in last night. I'm worried that they will be scared because I usually have the heat lamp on but make it dim for them for bedtime. I put in those push lights inside their coop so they can see. It's going to be 51 degrees tonight and I just hope they stay warm. Their coop is very secure and safe from predators but I'm so used to them being in the house with me. I don't know if I am just over reacting because they are so attached to me and am making this a bigger deal than it is. :/

They will be fine if your coop is free from drafts blowing right on them (ventilation up high). If they will have a breeze on them I'd fix it with tarps or however you can do it. Otherwise they will be just fine at that temperature and fully feathered.

If it was a huge temperature change like in the wintertime, I give chicks a light bulb to huddle under, to transition them inside the coop for awhile, until about 8-9 weeks. Thereafter I give a light bulb for 20's and under (we get down to 10 here). Some provide no heat in the coop at all and their birds do fine but we have high humidity in the winter and it predisposes to frostbite (mold inside coops, even!!).

They should be just fine and give them darkness to sleep - otherwise they will need food and water if they can see all night long. They are old enough to just have food and water during the daytime now (but do let them out right away in the morning unless food and water is in the coop).

Thank you. Now I feel bad for bringing them in. I opened the door and they all looked at me a chirped happily. Their coop has a few small openings where the wood doesn't meet but I put a towel in the crack. I think I will try it tomorrow night. They have food and water all the time! :) I did not know they didn't have to have water and food at night in the dark. I will start doing that because the have knocked it off and it wastes the food. I know they are tired of their brooder pen even though it's big enough for them. It's hard to let them become independent. I am so attached to them. Thank you for your advice. I will do it tomorrow night! :)

Thank you. Now I feel bad for bringing them in. I opened the door and they all looked at me a chirped happily. Their coop has a few small openings where the wood doesn't meet but I put a towel in the crack. I think I will try it tomorrow night. They have food and water all the time!
smile.png
I did not know they didn't have to have water and food at night in the dark. I will start doing that because the have knocked it off and it wastes the food. I know they are tired of their brooder pen even though it's big enough for them. It's hard to let them become independent. I am so attached to them. Thank you for your advice. I will do it tomorrow night!
smile.png
Oh good! Make sure that there is other ventilation in the coop as well, so air does get in. Many many folks don't have enough ventilation in their coops- but with brooding chicks inside the coop when they are brand new (which I do now, sometimes), it can be tricky to make it warm enough when the wind is blowing. They have to be out of the wind.

The older hens should be out of the wind as well, especially in winter. I am sure you will get it all sorted out.

Yes the mama hens will not feed their chicks at night- it is natural for them to be in the dark at night and not eat/drink (but starting at about 6 weeks when I raise them), is when I turn off lights and no food/water at night).

So whenever you have a light on for chickens at night - even adult hens- you definitely need some food and water in there too otherwise they get into mischief.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom