My 7 wk old Jap bantam chicks keep fighting!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HollyM, Aug 10, 2011.

1. HollyM

HollyM New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    I'm not sure why, but my bantam chicks keep fighting the other birds. They were all born on June 31st and I have 32 total birds, and 15 are bantams - the 7 silkie bantams aren't a problem though... in fact they're the BEST! I got a straight run of bantams, so I don't know if they're boys or girls. The regular sized girls I got don't seem involved (Silver wyandottes, naked necks, etc). One little one in particular keeps trying to pick fights and fuss with the other chickens. Is this normal? Do smaller chickens have a 'Napoleon complex'? Does this behavior continue on or is this just establishing a pecking order? This is my first time raising chickens and I'm worried about them hurting each other. (Oh, btw, a snake got in to my house and ate 7 of my babies, so I have 25 now. I'm super sad about that.) [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    At 7 weeks old, I think its pretty normal. I've seen some of my youngsters have some pretty awful fights, then others just have a starring contest. If it bothers you, separate the offender. Should knock them down a few pegs. Good luck! Sorry about your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by