My 8 week old gold brabanter has two toes that are beginning to curl inward

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpotter, Apr 28, 2016.

1. chickenpotter

chickenpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va
    This bird did not have splayed or curled toes as a young chick, but within the last two weeks I have noticed that his two inside toes seem to be rolling over and curling backward. His feet are very large and he walks awkwardly. Should I splint his toes? I have looked at several diseases ( Mareks for one and another cancerous disease that occurs in Brabanters and the symptoms don't fit).

So if you have had experience with this issue, please advise me on whether to treat or not.

Thanks!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 on vitamin deficiency

I have had chicks with toe problems develop when they are on amprolium based medicated feed. The amprolium inteferes with the vitamin b uptake in the protozoa (coccidia) and I suspicion can also interfere with those chicks either low in vitamins or sensitve to the med.

If it is vitamin B deficiency, putting Chick Saver or such other vitamins/electrolytes in the water is a quick fix. Usually you see improvement withing a day or two with complete resolution within the week.

I have also had curled toe creep in later with rarer breeds that have less genetic diversity. It is a sign of over breeding within the line. Usually the chicks show it at hatch (which often can be attributed to poor incubation temperatures) but I've had it come on later too.

My vote right now is vitamin deficiency. You can give a loading dose by making the dosage a little extra with the first day, then scale back by day 3 to regular dose.

Good luck.
    LofMc

4. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va

5. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va

Thank you so much for reinforcing the vitamin B fix and explaining it further. It certainly makes sense. I'm starting the vitamins this morning! I'll report back in a day or three!

6. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va
    More than a few days has gone by! Sorry to be tardy in thanking you all for such good advice. I did put my boy on the amped up vitamins and it helped him very much. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by