My 8 year old is building a coop!... I'm so proud!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Duramaxgirl, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I guess my hobby is addicting. Isabella my 8 year old has been begging for chickens of her own for a while... well we decided to let her get some and start 4-H this year. She is so excited and insists on 'doing it her self' daddy can help a little! (He helps a lot really) she is earning the money for her chickens to.
    Here they are starting the foundation boards... its just a small tractor.
    [​IMG]
    The great board packer
    [​IMG]
    She has learned how to use the dewalt! For pre drilling so the board doesn't split out and changing bits for the screws... she's doing so good!
    [​IMG]
    Daddy taught her how to use a tape measure! Yes at this point I was thinking....ooooo school project!
    [​IMG]
    Here they are screwing down the floor...
    [​IMG]
    Here is the latist...she's only posing here. because she only works with all the safty gear on.
    [​IMG]
    Her bird of choice... OEGB... maybe a pair or trio...

2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    your daughter is sooo cute [​IMG] You must be so proud of her. I also have a 8 yr old (boy) I can relate. Tell her to keep up the good work [​IMG]

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] It's great seeing young ones doing stuff like that!

4. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Thanks! I'm bursting with pride! She looks just like her dad. I'll add more photos off the coop as it gets finnished. We spend hours looking through the Mcmurry catalog together.

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I wish I had chickens at 8 y/o!! That coop is seriously well built. She will make a good carpenter as well as chicken farmer!
    [​IMG]

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    She is doing a great job!

7. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Very cute! Can't wait to see the finished product (and your new chicks)!

8. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    this is so great on so many levels! Yay that she likes chickens, yay that she knows that having them means all that up-front work and saving the money for them, yay that she's learning to build!!

It's really nice to see fathers working with their children and teaching them skills - especially girls learning "traditional" boy skills. My parents were adamant that we learn how to use power tools because they were both brought up with the idea of girls do the housework while boys do the building type stuff.

anyway, I know that it won't be until we see this as the norm that we've truly reached equality (both girls learning this kind of thing and fathers being actively involved with their children's growth), so I shouldn't even mention it - but it made me happy [​IMG] reminded me of working with my Dad on the house and the garden.

9. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Funny you should say that! The reason I have chickens is because she told me ' I wanna live with aunt Dani because she has chickens' (my sister had chickens a year before we got some) She's always loved them.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That's soooo wonderfuly cute! [​IMG]

She is doing an Awesome Job! [​IMG] Along w/ Daddy's help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by