My 8 year old is building a coop!... I'm so proud!

Duramaxgirl

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Idaho
I guess my hobby is addicting. Isabella my 8 year old has been begging for chickens of her own for a while... well we decided to let her get some and start 4-H this year. She is so excited and insists on 'doing it her self' daddy can help a little! (He helps a lot really) she is earning the money for her chickens to.
Here they are starting the foundation boards... its just a small tractor.
48894_img_20110126_212516.jpg

The great board packer
48894_img_20110126_203301.jpg

She has learned how to use the dewalt! For pre drilling so the board doesn't split out and changing bits for the screws... she's doing so good!
48894_img_20110127_134615.jpg

Daddy taught her how to use a tape measure! Yes at this point I was thinking....ooooo school project!
48894_img_20110127_133821.jpg

Here they are screwing down the floor...
48894_img_20110127_145107.jpg

Here is the latist...she's only posing here. because she only works with all the safty gear on.
48894_img_20110129_182414.jpg

Her bird of choice... OEGB... maybe a pair or trio...

Thanks! I'm bursting with pride! She looks just like her dad. I'll add more photos off the coop as it gets finnished. We spend hours looking through the Mcmurry catalog together.

this is so great on so many levels! Yay that she likes chickens, yay that she knows that having them means all that up-front work and saving the money for them, yay that she's learning to build!!

It's really nice to see fathers working with their children and teaching them skills - especially girls learning "traditional" boy skills. My parents were adamant that we learn how to use power tools because they were both brought up with the idea of girls do the housework while boys do the building type stuff.

anyway, I know that it won't be until we see this as the norm that we've truly reached equality (both girls learning this kind of thing and fathers being actively involved with their children's growth), so I shouldn't even mention it - but it made me happy
smile.png
reminded me of working with my Dad on the house and the garden.

Quote:
Funny you should say that! The reason I have chickens is because she told me ' I wanna live with aunt Dani because she has chickens' (my sister had chickens a year before we got some) She's always loved them.

Back
Top Bottom