My 80 lb Boxer got out by my free ranging 15 week old chickens!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well, Our boxer is one yr old and loaded with energy...we always keep him IN the house while the hens are free ranging and this morning my son looked out the window and see him running in circles by the chickens and yells "THE DOG IS OUT" I run downstairs as did he (our main floor is upstairs) and we threw on our shoes and out the door we ran. Yelled for MAX and here he comes running with foam in his mouth and panting like a crazy dog! I didn't even want to go see what he did. I have 15 chickens freeranging...so we walked down there and started counting...all 15 were there all 15 were FINE! WHEW! I think he was just having fun playing with them and chasing them around. My only laying hen laid an egg minutes after! LOL This is a dog that plays with a hot dog before he sits down and SLOWLY eat it. He's a strange dog.

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Whoa ~ you are very lucky your guy plays with his food before he eats! Glad it was only a scare.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Glad you got there while it was still play time and not dinner time! [​IMG]

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I bet the rest of them were laying a LOT more than that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm so glad everything worked out okay. What are you going to do to prevent this from happening a second time?

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Time to chickenize him. An encounter with a mother hen or a protective rooster might be a lesson he'll remember.

[​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Oblio, that is one beautiful pup in that pic! What breed is he?

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    The Boxer episode sounded scary! It may be something about Boxers. Ours disappeared along with my son's baby duck. We found them under the porch with the duckling snuggled up on Boot's front paws while he gave the bird a careful tongue washing. [​IMG]

8. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Wow, close call. I wasn't so lucky. Earlier this week one of my silver laced wyandottes decided to fly over the 5' fence between the chicken pen and the back yard, and my 2 dogs happened to be out in the back yard. We didn't notice what had happened until it was too late. [​IMG]

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Quote:Oh My there's that dane !!!! [​IMG]

10. orbirdman

orbirdman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    oregon
    i am always amazed at some of the stories i read here and out of control dogs. we have APBT's they have been around the birds since the birds were 6 weeks. we watched them carefully at first and still dont leave them unsupervised in the yard for more than 5 minutes. they smelled butts kinda followed and now they dont give a rats arse about the birds. i believe that you need to socialize a dog and expose them to everything as young as possible and equip them with the tools to become responsible animals as early as possible. the neighbors are constantly amazed that we are able to keep 2 dogs, 2 cats and 3 birds all in the same yard in harmony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by