My 80 lb Boxer got out by my free ranging 15 week old chickens!!

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Well, Our boxer is one yr old and loaded with energy...we always keep him IN the house while the hens are free ranging and this morning my son looked out the window and see him running in circles by the chickens and yells "THE DOG IS OUT" I run downstairs as did he (our main floor is upstairs) and we threw on our shoes and out the door we ran. Yelled for MAX and here he comes running with foam in his mouth and panting like a crazy dog! I didn't even want to go see what he did. I have 15 chickens freeranging...so we walked down there and started counting...all 15 were there all 15 were FINE! WHEW! I think he was just having fun playing with them and chasing them around. My only laying hen laid an egg minutes after! LOL This is a dog that plays with a hot dog before he sits down and SLOWLY eat it. He's a strange dog.

Quote:
Glad you got there while it was still play time and not dinner time!
lol.png

Quote:
I bet the rest of them were laying a LOT more than that.
tongue.png
wink.png

I'm so glad everything worked out okay. What are you going to do to prevent this from happening a second time?

The Boxer episode sounded scary! It may be something about Boxers. Ours disappeared along with my son's baby duck. We found them under the porch with the duckling snuggled up on Boot's front paws while he gave the bird a careful tongue washing.
love.gif

Wow, close call. I wasn't so lucky. Earlier this week one of my silver laced wyandottes decided to fly over the 5' fence between the chicken pen and the back yard, and my 2 dogs happened to be out in the back yard. We didn't notice what had happened until it was too late.
sad.png

i am always amazed at some of the stories i read here and out of control dogs. we have APBT's they have been around the birds since the birds were 6 weeks. we watched them carefully at first and still dont leave them unsupervised in the yard for more than 5 minutes. they smelled butts kinda followed and now they dont give a rats arse about the birds. i believe that you need to socialize a dog and expose them to everything as young as possible and equip them with the tools to become responsible animals as early as possible. the neighbors are constantly amazed that we are able to keep 2 dogs, 2 cats and 3 birds all in the same yard in harmony.

Back
Top Bottom