My 8wk old Silver Laced Wyandottes don't have a rose comb...normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly G, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I've got a bunch of Wyandotte chicks (8 weeks), and they are all growing up really nicely. But I noticed my Silver Laced Wyandottes don't have the rose comb developing like the others do...they are developing a regular comb.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It's actually pretty common in hatcher stock. Not only are the combs messed up, so is the plumage color. Where did you get them?

3. Kelly G

These are definitely hatchery stock...mostly Ideal. I'm not really interested in showing and, surprisingly, there aren't many poultry breeders here in Florida, so I went with a hatchery - though I've found a few breeders here in BYC.

I'm glad to see the non-rose comb developing...the rose comb creeped me out at first [​IMG] and kept me from ordering this breed last August (I chose Barred Rocks instead). But I decided to take the plunge because I liked so much of what I was reading about them (other than the combs).

Thanks for taking the time to answer me - I appreciate it!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You're welcome. [​IMG] I'm not a fan of the rose comb myself, but it sure is nice in cold climates to avoid frostbite on the poor roos. The single combs look just fine on them. I hope the plumage color is nice too. I've seen mixed results on hatchery birds, but they are still very pretty for yard eye candy.

5. Kelly G

Quote:No...the color leaves much to be desired when it comes to meeting the SOP. It's close enough to identify that they are SLW, but it's a stretch [​IMG]

That's a good point you make about the rose combs being more "frost proof"....I hadn't really thought about that.

I'll see if I can take some new pictures tomorrow and post them - I haven't taken any photos of them since they were 4 weeks old and looked like this:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. Kelly G

Ok...Here are some pictures taken today...I see just a single comb developing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Yours also have a lot more white on their heads than mine. Mine all have the rose comb, but theri body types vary wildly and are not true to breed. They are hatchery birds too.

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    What's the difference between a rose comb and a pea comb or are those the same?

VVVVVVV I've been calling this a pea comb VVVVVVV
    [​IMG]

9. Kelly G

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    WOW!!! I didn't realize there were so many differing combs.

Thank you Kelly G for the link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by