My 9 month old BCM pullet!

KrisRoberts

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2015
I have a BCM pullet that is approx 9 months old. She hasn't laid an egg yet, but for the last month or so she has acted real wierd. She acts like she can't walk forward very well. She takes a few step forward then she stumbles back wards. She strains like she's trying to lay an egg, but I've checked and as far as I can tell there isn't an egg. I thought she was egg bound but no sign of an egg. She eats and drinks fine, doesn't seem to be loosing weight! Help?

I have a BCM pullet that is approx 9 months old. She hasn't laid an egg yet, but for the last month or so she has acted real wierd. She acts like she can't walk forward very well. She takes a few step forward then she stumbles back wards. She strains like she's trying to lay an egg, but I've checked and as far as I can tell there isn't an egg. I thought she was egg bound but no sign of an egg. She eats and drinks fine, doesn't seem to be loosing weight! Help?

Welcome To BYC

Can you take her to a vet?

Any photos or video of her actions?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
How long have you had her?
Has she or any other member of your flock had any symptoms of respiratory illness?

It's hard to know what is going on. Stumbling and loss of balance can be a number of things. Taking a fecal sample to your vet for testing of cocci, worms and bacterial infection would be a good idea.

At 9 months she should have started laying eggs, so it's possible she has some type of developmental disorder. Internal laying/reproductive disorders like Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors could also be at play.

You may want to separate her so you can monitor her actions. Provide her with a good poultry vitamin and make sure she is staying hydrated. Offer her normal feed with some added protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom