1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 9 week old "Australorp" pullet *UPDATE w/ PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    is getting brown feathers around her neck/chest area. She is just starting to get the shiny green ones on her back too. She has black legs, big black eyes, a tiny dark colored (blackish) comb, and small reddish wattles. What do y'all think, is she an Australorp mix like described below? [​IMG]

The Australorp is an Australian bred chicken with a beautiful beetle-green sheen to each feather. They also have large, expressive, black eyes which is considered one of their most endearing attributes. The Australorp is often bred with Isabrowns or Loman Browns to produce a very tame backyard chicken which has scattered, rust coloured feathers appearing on their chests.

Anyone have any of these?​

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Never heard of that hybrid, but it definitely sounds like what you're describing.
    My Australorps have no brown in them at all.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

She's certainly some type of black sex link pullet.

Could also be a red x barred cross. The females have the same coloring as you describe. GREAT layers! [​IMG]

4. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    10 weeks old now and the same size/shape as my 10 week old BO. Here are some pics, does she look like an Australorp X or something else? BTW, she is very sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little bit of rusty brown on her chest area.
    [​IMG]

5. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    She sure looks an Australop, although I can understand the brown.... [​IMG]

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    she's beautiful!

Louella

7. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    WHat a pretty girl! Her feathers are just beautiful!

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    According to the Standard the brown is called "smut."

It is a sign that somewhere in the birds genetic past, there was a little hanky panky behind the wood pile.

Still, A-lorps are one of my favs.

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you! She is such a sweet girl. I was sitting outside in a lawn chair last night and 3 times she came over and hopped up on one of the arms. The last time I picked her up and after a few seconds of panic, she settled right down on my lap and let me rub her. [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I used to have an A-lorp hen, Hazel, who would come rushing to me everytime I entered the yard. She would get underfoot and bump into my feet until I picked her up and stroked her behind the neck. Then she was happy and would want down to run off with the flock.

The rest of the 'Lorp flock could care less and scattered, shrieking, at the sight of me.

Go figgure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by