My 9 week old polish tolbunt wont go into coop on her own

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristin07035, Jul 26, 2014.

1. kristin07035

kristin07035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    NJ
    Shes been outside in the coop/run for 3 weeks now.
    Every night I have to go out and lift her/put her into the coop. Her serama sisters go in themselves and she just cries until I go put her in.
    I tried twice to wait it out to see if she would eventually go in herself but instead both times she was curled up in the back corner of the run under the coop.
    I dont mind going out & lifting her in at bedtime but im worried that in a few months when shes ready to lay eggs (egg boxes are attached to coop) she won't know how to get to them.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Will she eventually figure it out?
    I really don't want her to lay her eggs on the ground.
    Oh I even broke down and trimmed the crest feathers by her eyes thinking maybe she was having trouble seeing but it didn't help.
    Here is a pic of her calling for me to put her up into the coop for bed.
    [​IMG]

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I always have a few that I have to put to bed for awhile. Eventually they do get it. Even my silly girls have managed to figure out the nest box after I found eggs on the floor and put them in the box. I think seeing where they are supposed to be helped. Now most of the time the eggs are in the boxes, here and there I find one in the run.

3. kristin07035

Jan 15, 2014
    NJ
    Thanks I thought and hoped she would eventually "get it" but was being a worried mama.

4. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's always better to ask than to just plain worry. Tonight I had to go fetch two silly babies that think sleeping on the perch inside their run is a good idea. While I can't imagine anything getting them, I also don't want them to get a chill. I put them to bed.

1 person likes this.
  5. kristin07035

Jan 15, 2014
    NJ
    Yey! It's not a fluke
    She went up the ramp and into the coop two nights in a row all by herself! :)

[​IMG] TODAY

[​IMG] YESTERDAY

6. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by