1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My 9 year old daughter's first incubator and eggs she collected.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shrimp Daddy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    Ridgeland SC
    [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    How exciting for her! That would have been my dream as a kid. [​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How many days into incubation are you? It appears that you have condensation on the windows?

4. Shrimp Daddy

Oct 15, 2015
    Ridgeland SC
    4 hours. Had it running since yesterday. Pulled a plug out the top earlier to reduce humidity. It's around 72 percent now. Hoping it will drop soon

5. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I personally would wipe off the condensation.
    What are you hatching??

6. Shrimp Daddy

Oct 15, 2015
    Ridgeland SC
    Ameracaunas, barred rock, and mystery eggs lol. Not sure which ones laid I let my daughter pick them out

7. gotro17

gotro17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Good luck!!!

8. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Lol! That's excellent! You'll have to keep this thread updated. We'll all be following...!

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Good luck!!

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok, I know you didn't ask for advice, but I am going to give you some because I don't want to know that little girl is going to be dissapointed if she doesn't get some hatches. I use an LG 9200, styro bator. If you don't have checked accuarate thermometers in the bator. Please get yourself a couple and don't trust any unchecked gages on the bator. Make sure if it's still air you are running 101-102 with temps taken near the top of the eggs and if it's forced air 99.5F. Also spot check the bator. My bator has the same heating element as yours and under the heating element is 1-2 degrees warmer than the center and the outside perimeter, so it's a good idea to rotate the eggs daily.

Now, what really concerns me is your humidity. Humidity that high (anything over 45% in my opinion is too high over an average) will drown chicks. High humidity will keep the egg from loosing moisture and the end result will most likely be a bunch of perfectly formed babies dead in the shell come hatch time. I highly recommend if you are not in a high elevation, to empty the water in the bator and run a low humidity incubation and check air cells for growth. If you take a look at this: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity it will help you both understand what humidity is all about and how to find the right humidity range for your eggs. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. I hope she gets lots of fluff balls. (BTW, I leave both vent plugs out for the duration of the incubation.)

And [​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by