1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my 9ish month old rooster is kind of croaking/humming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bops, Oct 25, 2013.

1. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Today he is making a throaty, kind of croaking noise. Does this mean he is going to crow soon or something? Thanks:D

2. Michaels1715

Michaels1715 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Chester County, PA
    Certainly sounds like he's trying to crow - they are very "croaky" at first.
    But nine months old? What breed is he? My 6-month old roo - a GORGEOUS Amauracuna/Silkie cross - has been crowing for over 2 months and took control of the flock over from his "daddies" several weeks ago.

3. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    I'm guessing he's getting ready to crow. Must be a late bloomer! I usually hear the first crow much younger than that. Around 4 months usually.

4. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

This little chap was crowing at 7 weeks old

[​IMG]

5. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    A miniature light sussex
    Aw he looks lovely

6. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine? Nope he is a Lavender Araucana (UK version)

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I had three roosters this summer, one was snatched, he had been crowing for about a week, he was about 31/2- 4 months old..... but what is funny, is that the other two, just started to try and crow now, and they are nearly 6 months old. One is the same breed as the early crower. They are like kids, they grow at different rates!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by