My 9y/o is a crack up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mlregalado, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mlregalado

mlregalado New Egg

Feb 28, 2011
    So Thursday I bought some chicks my 9y/o says to me why didn't you buy chickens? Lol! I thought kids were supposed to like chicks.

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

She'll love them once she gets to know them I bet!

3. flying_babyb

flying_babyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    any adivce on getting the 12 year old not to hate the chicks? She wont even visit or hold them. She also prays nightly there all roos (cause then they gatta go).

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:Why don't your kids adore chicks? tell her that they are there to stay and that she has to grow to love them or they will somehow get revenge on her someday.

5. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    My oldest daughter was adopted from Ethiopia at 8 1/2. I overheard her tell one of her friends "yeah, my mom keeps FOOD as PETS". I don't think that I'll be winning her over anytime soon.

6. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:Sounds like something my father in law used to say when he was more in to the farming stuff: "Don't name your food" [​IMG]

7. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I honestly don't know what to say to this problem..this is surprising that a 12 year old girl wouldn't find something tiny, cute and fuzzy./.absolutely adorable..but, everyone is different..I have 3 teen boys..they have been wanting these chicks for so long. We homeschool so I have more opportunity to have them read things I print from the net on raising them, behaviour, breeds, etc..after reading some stuff yesterday two of them said they were more excited now than ever..maybe give it a try? And yes..I am the one wanting to raise some meat birds. My boys and better half REFUSE to kill anything..if the woman doesn't handle it..it won't be done..and I have told them, NO NAMING the meatoids![​IMG]

8. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Quote:Maybe She is afraid of them. Of course she isnt going to tell you cause she's 12.. but could be. After growing up with my mom and dad's chickens I almost didnt get any but after I held them when they were little and they started to grow..I became less afraid. You could try asking her to at least pet them while you are holding them and to please talk to them, that way when older they wont be mean to her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by