My "A" Frame Chicken Tractor of Shame

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Echolalia, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    So I've got three 16-week pullets and two 9-week old chicks. The big girls bully the little 'uns, so I thought that I'd finally build the A-frame tractor I had been too intimidated to try earlier.

Started with the frame, hardware cloth, bird netting, a tarp, and some plywood. I braced the plywood against the structure, using a couple of old wooden benches hold them in place - total eyesore and not terribly secure, either.

Today, I put in a wall & built the floor of what I hope will eventually be a nesting/roosting area. It was getting dark so I just started screwing random pieces of plywood into place to make the enclosure more secure. It now looks like it was built by a lunatic who just happened to have some power tools - plywood jutting out at weird angles, for no apparent reason. It wobbles, shakes and seems like it could implode if hit with a good sharp breeze. Nothing like learning your carpentry skills on the fly![​IMG]

2. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG] sounds like you tried! and its a funny story lol - love to see some pics [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Also, keep in mind that it can be temporary - your older birds will be a bit more accepting by the time you two younger ones are closer in size (maybe 14-16 weeks of age), so you could blend them then. How it looks will not concern your chickens one whit - but how stable/secure it is WILL. So do make sure it's safe/predator proof. [​IMG]

4. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    keep trying, and dont give up. Learning is half the battle. You will get there. We did and I just hope no one looks real close at some of our corners, hinges, coverings etc. LOL Chickens dont seem to care![​IMG]

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I hope you posted this for a laugh. That was a good tale. Really funny.

6. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Quote:Sadly, no. I was venting about my appalling lack of carpentry skills. As of late, this also includes my apparently complete ignorance of workplace safety, unfortunately.

On Tuesday, I opened up a 2 inch gash on one of my thighs with a wood chisel, deep enough that I could see fatty tissue. Luckily, the people at the ER were chicken fans and totally accepting of what I was doing. Heck I live in SF - I'm sure they handle injuries with far weirder causes than mine on a regular basis.

On a good note, the "A" frame is more or less done - needs some paint, flashing on the roof and maybe some flower boxes. So ... yay me(?)

7. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I say "Ya ME (you)!" Anything you build by yourself is totally worth it and no matter what looks perfect to you. AND who cares what others say/feel about it. If they don't like it tell them to go build you one themselves and see what they say [​IMG]

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:Sadly, no. I was venting about my appalling lack of carpentry skills. As of late, this also includes my apparently complete ignorance of workplace safety, unfortunately.

On Tuesday, I opened up a 2 inch gash on one of my thighs with a wood chisel, deep enough that I could see fatty tissue. Luckily, the people at the ER were chicken fans and totally accepting of what I was doing. Heck I live in SF - I'm sure they handle injuries with far weirder causes than mine on a regular basis.

On a good note, the "A" frame is more or less done - needs some paint, flashing on the roof and maybe some flower boxes. So ... yay me(?)

Yikes! I hope you're okay. I've pulled some really stupid crap when using tools. Luckily I've never hurt myself seriously. It's no wonder when my husband watches me do anything with a tool or knife he looks like he's watching someone riding a skateboard on a pipe and landing on their crotch! But good for you for finishing it. I just put a wooden door/ramp on a plastic tote for my ducklings to sleep in. It's really special. [​IMG]

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    The good news is, your chickens won't care.

But for us, WE need photos!

10. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:When I got my rooster, he came from a home with a VERY nice coop. Mine was less than wonderful and when he went up the ramp for the first time, he stopped, looked in and then looked around at me with a look on his face that said, clear as day:

"THIS is where you expect me to live? Really?"

He did get over it after a couple of weeks but I had to remind him several times that his previous owner was willing to give him up for rooster stew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by