My (about) 5 month rooster is trying to peck me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Huds-Hen, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Huds-Hen

Huds-Hen New Egg

Oct 6, 2011
    Hi my name is Hudson and I am 12. I take care of the chickens that we own by feeding, watering ect. I am pretty new to chickens, I know the basics, just not all of the in betweens. we have had our chickens for 7 months, and they were bought full grown.
    For a school project I brought home a 2 incubated chicks. when I brought them home they were about a week old.
    We later found out that we had a rooster and a hen. sadly the hen didn't make it [​IMG]
    The rooster is who I have a question about.
    Fred is now almost full grown, he is the same size as the others now. He has been fully put together with our older chickens that we got first.
    Recintly Fred has been puffing up and getting all big at me when I step into their pen to feed them. He has pecked my shoe a couple of times and I he chases behined me all the time. Is this a good thing, should I get mad at him? I don't know how to react and I don't know what to do with him. Is this a way of him saying that he likes me, or is he being agressive? I want to know what to do so that I don't let this get to far, or I do somthing wrong that makes it worse. [​IMG]
    Could someone please tell what this means and what I should do??
    Thanx!
    [​IMG]

Jess-A-Chick-A likes this.
  2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    This is a sign of aggression with roosters. Be very careful around him and show him who is boss. There will be other posters who have more knowledge on aggressive roosters.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I would work towards fixing this while he's still young and not super aggressive. One thing you never want to do is run from him. That can make it worse.
    Holding them down on the ground until they submit works for me, if I plan on keeping the rooster.

4. Huds-Hen

Huds-Hen New Egg

Oct 6, 2011
    Thanx you guys, I will try that when I go out.. [​IMG] why do you think he is like this to me now. he was never like this intill mabey 3 weeks ago. He dosn't do this to my mom, dad or brothers, and they almost never deal with the chickens, or have anything to do with them. What would this lead into, what do you think the worst case sonario would be? We have another rooster gorge, and he respects me. This little rooster dosn't seem to understand chicken! [​IMG]

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    He may be doing this because:
    A. He is maturing and sees you as a part of the flock and as another chicken , Or more likely
    B. He wants to take over as leader of the flock.
    Not all roos that become aggressive, stay aggressive. He can be fixed if you are determined to work with him and you really want to keep him [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    could also be because you are smaller then an adult, he knows to respect them cause they are bigger. Stand your ground and if you have to sit on him. I have sat on one of my pullets because she was being aggressive. She cut that out, guess she didn't like me sitting on her. ( i just sit down enough to pin her so she couldn't move then i played with her wattles lol ) Good luck with your Roo!

Almost forgot!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Roosters (cockerals) that are only 5 to 7 months old can be really obnoxious. They are like onery teenagers. When he starts to chase you, it might help to turn around and chase him. You can stalk him, so he considers you a bit of a threat to him. Good luck. This is a great place to learn.

8. Huds-Hen

Huds-Hen New Egg

Oct 6, 2011
    This is a great site..! [​IMG] You guys rock!! lots of great help from you guys, I was starting to worry about him, (me really) [​IMG] haha
    If he pulls anything on me tomorrow I will,
    A: Hold him on the ground or sit on him
    B: Chase and stalk him around the pen
    Thanx again, big and tough little rooster won't be so big and tough anymore! haha [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    HI huds-hen (like the name play) When my rooster (that I raised from a chick and gave lots of attention) started that with me, I just stopped, looked at him and said YEAH? Really? Just stood still and made him uncertain.He looked confused and backed away. I lock my rooster up in separate cages at night, and let them know it's up to me to let them out or not. Holding him is another kind of reminder that you are the boss, it's also good to handle him so if you should need to in the future it won't be difficult. Check his wings, his legs, his comb, feel the breast for muscle and conditioning, check his skin and feather condition. Remember to treat him with kindness when you 'discipline him' and remind him that you do like him but you set the boundaries. Don't let him peck you, you don't have to kick him, but firmly push him away and tell him NO, he is testing what he can do...(they can listen too) At his age it's likely he doesn't understand how to be a rooster yet. He may try you from time to time but you are bigger than him, and the boss. Good luck!

10. Huds-Hen

Huds-Hen New Egg

Oct 6, 2011
    so far so good. He still eyes me up, just he dosn't peck anymore.. Anytime he chased after me I chased after him, and when he tryed to fight back I sat on him. He didn't seem to like that! [​IMG] After he finnaly relaxed I stroked his head, and then I let him go.. [​IMG]
    Thanx again for the help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by