My ADORABLE Sizzle hen is CROWING! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Sep 17, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have heard some crowing coming from one of my runs and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out who was doing it! Every time I heard it and went to check on them, the culprits were as quiet as mice! I have no roosters so this was a real puzzle.

But today, I actually caught her doing it! She is the cutest, sweetest little thing (a Silkie/Frizzle) and the last one I would expect to crow.

At first, I suspected this one, who hasn't laid any eggs since her last molt...

[​IMG]

And then I suspected this one. She is my EE, Olive, who earned her name by laying beautiful large olive green eggs. However, she also hasn't laid any eggs since her last molt, so I thought she may be taking on some "male characteristics"...

[​IMG]

None of the hens in this group have been laying very well (there are some Silkies that are broody more often than not) but I believe this one has laid some eggs. She did go broody last winter and made a real mess of herself by yanking out all of her breast feathers. She really had me worried because it was so cold out and she had so much skin exposed.

But she survived the whole experience very well and now she is CROWING! I would never have believed this unless I actually saw it for myself! Here she is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately, her crowing is not all that loud and isn't very likely to disturb the neighbors. I just hope these girls get back to normal and start laying again soon!

Just thought you might like to see that the most "girlie" girl is capable of crowing! [​IMG] Genie

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh my goodness! What a little flower she is. [​IMG] I'd crow too if I were that cute. [​IMG]

3. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Your hens are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

4. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Omg that is the cutest sizzle ive ever seen!! wow she looks like a tiny little turkey lol with out the whole bald head thing lol shes adorable

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Oh I just love her! She has a beauty all her own...

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:Perfect response! [​IMG]
    A darling hen! So cute that she's crowing, too [​IMG]

7. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Ohh My what cuties!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by