My adult chickens attached my 8 weeek old silky WHAT DO I DO HURT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dnenella, May 14, 2010.

1. dnenella

dnenella Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    they pecked its head until it removed all its feathers about the size of a nickel on the top/back side of its head i took it out of the coop and put it in the house with me i'm forcing it drink but it keeps on cockin its head to the side i cleaned the wound but i don't know what else to do for it first time something like this has ever happened to me i've delt with chickens that have been attaced by other animals but it was never on the head

2. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    He will need supplemental heat, so you can set him up a hospital area with a brooder. Cleanse the wound with soap and water, and a dab of hydrogen peroxide. Then apply a VERY thin layer of Neosporin...with NO lidocaine or benzocaine. Keep him separate from the others until he is larger and the wound is healed. That is really young and small for a Silkie to be introduced to adults, in my own opinion...I don't introduce until they are several months old myself! I turn out all of the chickens, and then release the newbies, so they all forage together. That way they meet on neutral territory.

Keep him warm (think about 80 degrees or so), and be sure he can get away from the heat, too. Just like a brooder! Let him rest and don't force him to do anything yet, you'll just stress him out. Give him food and water and once he gets nice and toasty and overcomes the stress of being attacked, I bet he'll be eating/drinking by this evening. Apply the Neosporin 1-2 times a day on the wound in a very thin layer. :0)

Good luck!

3. dnenella

May 10, 2010
    Thank you I don't have a heat lamp where i'm at right know (work) but it seems to be doing better its making noise and drinking. It poor little head looks like a sponge i just hope he pulls through;.) This is my first time with bannie chicks and I did not relalize that they need more time in a brooder. Which I don't have anymore i'm letting someone borrow mine, so I pray nothing happens to my other 5. This one is gonna be sitting in my dogs crate hopeful the cats leave it alone.

4. dnenella

May 10, 2010
    sadly the little one died sunday morning it would not eat i think they actually pecked its head so hard that it had brain damage it kept on walking in circles and leaning on its wings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by