1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Adult Coturnix Females Are Eating Poops

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jumbocoturnix, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    My Coturnix females are laying eggs, but it has strangely slowed down for now. I am feeding them a layer feed ration. My only concern right now is for the couple of days they are starting to eat their own poop. Is there a lack of calcium? Why are they doing this? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Chicken layer? That's waaay too low of protein for quail.

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    As ChickenLegs said, most layer feeds have too little protein for coturnix quail. I believe I read egg production will suffer if they get less than 24% protein. This is usually only available in game bird and turkey starters. And starter feeds don't have enough calcium, so you'll want to supply them with another source of calcium. I grind oyster shell for my button quail and supply that in a separate dish so they can dose it themselves.
    Stress will also cause reduced egg laying, so if anything stressing happened recently, that might be part of the cause.

4. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    I think protein is less than 20%. Should I purchase a new feed? Thanks!

5. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    What % of calcium is recommended for egg laying Jumbo Coturnix? Thanks!

6. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I would get a new feed, yes. For the calcium, I'm guessing it's about the same as for chickens and I think chicken layers has 2.5% or something like that - not too sure though. But as I said, you usually can't get both protein and calcium right in the same feed, so the easiest way to go is to supply them with extra calcium in a separate dish. By giving them a separate dish, you are also not forcing your males to eat it, too much calcium puts strain on the organs.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Yes. Something labled for gamebirds. I use the DuMor 24% turkey/quail/chick starter for my butcher birds. It's not THE BEST for layer/breeders though but works good nuff for me.

Purina Gamebird Layene is around 3.5%, bout the same is any other layer feed.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  8. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    Thank you! I appreciate!

9. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    Thank you! I appreciate!

10. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016