My adult duck can't hardly walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bekah095, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Bekah095

Bekah095 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    I have an adult white layer female and she cant seem to walk very well. Some days she seems okay then other days she wont even stand. Sometimes she will try to walk and limp and spread her wings out and try to walk with her wings. Sometimes she just stumbles when she runs. I'm not sure what's wrong with her to where it comes and goes like that. I feed her layer crumbles and cracked corn but none of the other ducks have this issue. I've tried niacin and it didnt help so now im trying to soak her in an epsom salt bath to see if that helps. There's no visible injury to her legs. It almost seems like her legs just get too weak to carry her sometimes. I'm really not sure what to do but don't want to pay a huge vet bill...any ideas? Thanks!

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Does she get oyster shell?

3. Bekah095

Jan 15, 2015
    No she doesn't. I set some out for them once but nobody ever touched it. I figured if it was a deficiency in something then the other girls would be showing signs too. The layer crumbles I give them has 4.0% calcium but I'll try it again and see what happens. Thanks!

4. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    How many male ducks do you have and how many females? She maybe having back or hip problems from the males overmating her.

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    4% calcium should be good. Pattyhen is probably right; does she have any bare patches on her neck, sides, and back?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could be mating injury, it could also be egg binding (low calcium-related, perhaps), or it could be egg yolk peritonitis, a very serious systemic infection.

By the way, different ducks seem to have different nutritional needs. I have some ducks that tend to have trouble processing calcium, the rest do just fine.

If it's EYP, she needs to be on oral or injectable antibiotics right away. One case that always stands out in my mind is of a duck who was treated with Baytril, and had to receive syringe/tube feeding for a little while to keep her weight up during the crisis. But she recovered.

For egg binding, that's serious, too, and calcium supplements and long lukewarm tub time can help.

It would be good to separate her from any drakes, as she doesn't sound well enough to have to put up with that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bekah095

Jan 15, 2015
    I recently got rid of the drakes but they didn't like her too well. I knew who they liked from the marks on their necks and she has none. She's not any skinnier than the rest of them so I know she's eating okay. She seems just fine most of the time but about every 3 weeks or so she won't stand up. I have been putting some calcium out though just to make sure. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by