My adventure as a chicken mama begins

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ClearSkye, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ClearSkye

ClearSkye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2016
    Chesapeake VA
    My Coop
    We have started! Foundation down for our Wichita Cabin Coop.
    [​IMG]

My Standard Schnauzer Blitz (OMG is his name a preview of whats to come? Nah, he is well trained) is all excited about it too...

[​IMG]

Not quite ready for the girls yet, as you can see :p Give us a couple weekends.
    Gotta find a source for Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rock pullets since I am a newbie.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can't wait to see the progress - is the wire just down as a skirting or does it extend under the inside of the foundation as well?

3. ClearSkye

Mar 29, 2016
    Chesapeake VA
    My Coop
    Thanks :) I can't wait either. I'll go fetch some rough sand for the run tomorrow, then we can frame this weekend if the weather is nice enough.

The hardware cloth goes under the pavers and down about the depth of the shovel I made a trench with when leveling.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Great start! [​IMG] Keep us posted.

5. chandarichards

chandarichards Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    That looks like a great start!

6. ClearSkye

Mar 29, 2016
    Chesapeake VA
    My Coop
    Here is the fun we had today after I spent the evening before painting everything creamy Chocolate froth (I would love to professionally name colors... chocolate in the name is always a winner). We ordered deep red metal roof panels yesterday that I took the sample chip to the paint section and hubby and I had some good old fashioned color therapy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am so fond of this location in our yard between two maple trees that will give our babies shade in the humid Virginia summer. Anyway this is as far as we got on our first real day of construction... and yes hubby LOVES his new cordless drill he got for the project.

2 people like this.
  7. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    Nice job!

8. BY Bob

BY Bob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2016
    Hershey, PA
    My coop and run are under our birch tree and grape vines will run over the roof of the run. I am in PA and I too was worried about the sun beating on them in the summer. Once everything leaves out I will post a photo.

9. ClearSkye

Mar 29, 2016
    Chesapeake VA
    My Coop
    Awesome, I would love to see it Bob!
    I take a peek and watch the shadows progress across the area from our leafing out trees a couple times a day and just smile to myself.. our future hens are gonna be happy girls I think.

10. ClearSkye

Mar 29, 2016
    Chesapeake VA
    My Coop
    Progress so far.. DD really helps by learning to drill, and wait... look who came home with mama today! 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Black Australorps five weeks old today :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by