My Advice on the English Breed "Orpington"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by J's Orpingtons, Dec 2, 2011.

1. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    I'd like to share some advice and info on the breed "Orpington" I breed Orpingtons and show them. But anyways here a couple of tips why the breed Orpington is my favourite [​IMG]

Wonderful Appearance -- The Orpingtons appearance is...well... Beautiful [​IMG]
    Make Brilliant Garden hens -- OR Gentle Giants to your Garden !
    One of the freindliest breeds around! -- My Orpingtons are one of my freindliest chickens !
    Easy to handle -- As I said their a very friendly breed which makes them easy to handle [​IMG]
    Showmans Favourite -- Orpingtons seem to be one of the showman's favourites !!
    Interesting History -- As you may know the Orpington has a interesting history !

^^Thats why Orpingtons are my favourite breed [​IMG] ^^

People are sometimes put off Orpingtons because ;

Not the greatest layer -- My Orpingtons lay around 150 large a year ( At least their a BIG egg !! )
    Poor examples at sales [​IMG] -- When I started poultry I chosen the breed Orpington ( Of Course ) I went to a local small sale and I found this man selling lots of ... As he called Orpingtons ... So I bought a trio and they turned out to have yellow legs ( A good Orpington should have white legs ) and they weren't even Orpingtons !! [​IMG]
    Some people say Males can be feisty but I don't think thats true -- If handled they can make very friendly birds [​IMG]

Colours

The original colours of the Orpington are Blue, Buff, White and Black but of course they have been breed into LOTS of different colours [​IMG] Including Chocolate,Red,Black-laced,Mottled etc. etc. My favourite colour of Orpington is BUFF [​IMG]

Orpingtons ( In Large Fowl ) Males weigh around 4 kg and LF females weigh around 3.5 kg .

Hoped you liked my advice [​IMG]

J [​IMG]

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I love orps to!I started two years ago,I started with hatchery stock as that was all I could get.I have gotten eggs form other people and now have some nice looking oprs.My favorite color is blue and splash.I started with the buff and have four colors now.I doubt I will ever have any show quality.I love the english orps and would love to have some but a little to expensive for me.I am going to order some whites this spring,I also am looking to find some blacks,I have one black now.I have seen the molted and they are so beautiful.Some of mine are very friendly and others would run themselves to death trying to get away from you.[​IMG] This a picture of my slpash cockeral,he will not be year old untill next May and he is huge.This one was taken when he was three months old

3. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    He nice [​IMG]

4. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:that doesnt look like splash... is it white with darker spots and splotches on it? it looks blue with no lacing... maybe the camera flash washed it out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by