My agressive head hen squatted for me yesterday.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I think she might be coming around. I hope it was only PMS and she will get to laying. She squatted once before, when I cornered her with my kiddie rake and pinned her down for a few seconds. Yesterday, I just spoke to her and attempted to stroke her and down she went, no problem. I got to love on her with no meaness. Thank you guys because quite a few of you said she might calm down some once she started laying. I think it might just be the trick! She is a RIR who will be 25 weeks old on Thursday, it is about time.

Hoping for an egg, now.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well she sees you as alpha rooster so make sure you teach her some manners! A real rooster would subdue her aggression, but he could be feisty if you chose RIR.

Hopefully she will reward you with some eggs soon.

Sandie

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You're getting close! Give her a good rub when she squats, then when you are done, she'll get up and fluff off. They do get friendlier when they get close to laying.

4. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:I sure did, rubbed and loved on her. She jumped up and fluffed! I love my Abby. She is becoming a good girl. LOL!

5. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    So are we supposed to love on them when they are doing the squatting thing? Does that help them?

6. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:I am always petting them, just to get them used to being handled. I scratch them on the lower back at the base of the tail when they squat. I think they think they just got LUCKY!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It reassures them, they get better used to being handled, and that fluff business afterward is exactly what they do after the rooster dismounts. *evil grin*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by