1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My air pocket

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginbart, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    This is my first time incubating and I am in need of help. First I had the temp at 102 so I lowered it to just below 100. Then the power went off and when I candled them on the 14th day. ALL my bubbles are on the bottom!!!! Are they gone, when I take them out of the turner should I turn them upside down so the bubble is on the top? Did I fry them? Should I start to dig a hole? PLEASE HELP ME. Thanks Ginbart

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The air pocket will be on the large end of the egg. You should put the eggs in the incubator with this pocket facing up.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:When you refer to the "bottom" of the egg do you mean the big end or the smaller end? If it is the big end, that's normal.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    It was the small end. I put them up to a light and it looks like the pocket was on the bottom. I need to get a better light and look again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by