My alleged Australorps, with pics, I hope....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HelenB, Jun 11, 2010.

1. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    I recently posted a question about stripes on baby Australorps. Well, I found my camera, charged the battery, and took some pics last night.

Here they are at one month old

[​IMG]

Notice the dark feet and legs, at least on the fronts/tops

[​IMG]

Are there any Australorpers out there who have had chicks that look like these? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Helen

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Where did you get the chick('s) at? Did they say that they were Australorps?
    They look like Barred Rocks.. Defiantly not a pure Australorp...

Chris

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    I got them at the feed store, they get them from Privett Hatchery. My selection was made in a bit of a rush, since the Jersey Giants I had ordered did not come in. The shipment included barred rocks, and after a moments contemplation the nice chicken lady told me that those were Australorps. I also got Buff Orps, the two JGs that did come in, and Welsummers, all of who look about like they are supposed to. Whatever these two are, they are the friendliest and calmest of the bunch, so far.

4. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    My hatchery catalog says that Astralorps have white tips to their feathers until they are full grown... So maybe they just have to go through their first molt? Idk, just telling u what my catalog says...

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They're not Australorps. Perhaps Barred Rocks or Cuckoo Marans. But not Australorps.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Those are Barred Rocks.
    Just out of curiosity what color are the Buff Orpingtons leg color?

Chris

7. barredrockgrl

barredrockgrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    They look like my barred rock, right down to the leg color.

8. jathall

jathall Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    My australorps are 6 weeks old..They are solid black except for around thier face is yellow and they have white tips on their wings..Also their feet are blackish gray. Sorry, you didn't get what you paid for. If it helps, I also have a barred rock and she is a sweetheart!! She"s my favorite!!

9. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Here's a pic of my Australorp around 2.5 or 3 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Here she is at around 2 months:
    [​IMG]

She's got blackish grey legs and I think they were dark since I got her as a 2 day old.

10. ondreeuh

ondreeuh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Ah, same thing happened to me. I had reserved some chicks at the feed store and they set half of them aside. The lady told me one set aside was an Australorp but I realized later it was a BR. They look very very similar as day-olds.

Andrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by