My Almost 7month old Hens not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheZMom, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TheZMom

TheZMom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2012
    I have 3 hens and a rooster... they have not laid ONE egg yet... they are almost 7 months old!? Whats going on!?

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    What breed are they? Some breeds lay as early as 4 1/2 months where some of the larger breeds like Brahmas can take up to a year.

3. TheZMom

Sep 13, 2012
    One is a [FONT=Georgia, Utopia, Palatino Linotype, Palatino, serif]Buff Orpington[/FONT] one is an [FONT=Georgia, Utopia, Palatino Linotype, Palatino, serif]Australorp[/FONT] and the other is a [FONT=Georgia, Utopia, Palatino Linotype, Palatino, serif]Barred Plymouth Rock Bantam[/FONT].

Also we got them March 4th, I believe they were a day or two old.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    If you got them around March 4th at a day or two old, then they are actually only 6 1/2 months old. I am not sure about the bantams, but my guess for the other breeds you mentioned would be that they would start laying between 6 and 8 months old.

5. caz426

caz426 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Willis, MI
    I have a Buff Orpington that is around 28 weeks and still not laying. My Leghorn has been laying for almost a month now.

6. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Leghorns are 1 of the earliest layers. Lorps & Orps lay late. I would think the bantam rock should lay soon. Keep an eye on the comb for color change & when you see it turn bright red you should have eggs within a week or 2. Your girls are also right around molting season too. That could also delay the start of egg laying as could extreme temps, too hot or too cold.

7. TheZMom

Sep 13, 2012
    Will ALL of them change bright red when its time to lay?

8. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Combs will brighten a good bit before they lay. They may not all reach the same shade of red, but you will definitely notice a change.

9. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    I have read on here that to many treats could delay them or cease egg production. They need to be kept on a controlled diet like when a woman gains weight it could throw off her cycle, same with hen. You may already know that info, but I didn't, so maybe I could help someone. I was treating my hens twice a day and I wondered why my girls where looking o hefty, lol. So, Now I give them a few handsful of clover and wet grass before lunch as a treat and table scraps once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by