1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Ameracauna Is Feather Picking Everyone!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desertchicken92, Jan 21, 2015.

1. desertchicken92

desertchicken92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Lemme give you the back story first, I have four chickens all of which are very docile. My Ameracauna (who is highest rank on pecking order) has seemingly taken up a habit of feather picking. They were pullets in the spring and just started laying at the end of summer. My Ameracuana hen laid about a dozen eggs, started feather picking and them had a few hiccup eggs and then quit laying all winter long. Well, now the days are getting longer and sunnier and she has resumed laying...and feather picking. I don't understand what could be causing it[​IMG]I have a coop and run huge enough for 16 chickens or so (plan on getting more) They got plenty of chicken toys/scraps/things to scratch and peck around for. Their food is high in protein, they get a cup of BOSS/corn scratch mixed as a treat everyday. They also get lettuce, squash scraps, and other veggie scraps when available. The odd thing is that she's very quiet docile hen to the others, she just stares at the other hen's butt fluff like its a big mac or something and goes into a trance and has been picking their fluffy butt feathers...[​IMG] I know this has been probably posted many times, but does anyone have any solutions, natural remedies, thoughts or ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help, Thanks BYC'ers[​IMG]

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have one too, but it is my Buff Orpington. She started picking when she started laying as well. Only mine hasn't quit laying, and hasn't quit picking. I have pinless peepers on her right now, she still picks a little, but can't get such a good bead on them. It lets them see up, down, and too the side, but not straight on. It is a terrible habit. You can check out this thread, maybe some of the ideas will work for you. It is a terrible situation to be in. I know! I have peepers on Fi too as she was pulling feathers off of my molter. She may be ok though after the molter is done.
    Here they are with their peepers:
    [​IMG]

3. desertchicken92

desertchicken92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Great article, thanks! Maybe I'll check my local feed store for some pinless peepers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by