1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Ameracauna isn't laying eggs anymore! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melliebellie, Nov 7, 2013.

1. melliebellie

melliebellie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Tucson, AZ.
    I have an Ameracauna named Betsy. She is about seven months old. She started laying beautiful blue eggs in August. She is acting totally normal, eating, foraging, activity level, etc. However, she hasn't laid an egg since around 10-24. I have looked around the yard to see if she has a secret spot and haven't found one. From what I have read if she was broody she would be exhibiting broody characteristics like hanging out in the nesting box, etc and she hasn't been doing anything like that. Can they be "silent" brooders? I know they don't lay eggs when they are molting, do they molt when they are so young? Would I know if she was molting, would there be feathers everywhere? There aren't, by the way. I live in Tucson, AZ and the weather is very warm still, in the 70's and 80's. The only unusual thing I have seen her do is several weeks ago she obviously needed to lay an egg and was very agitated, jumping in and out of the nesting boxes, pacing, loud squawking, generally making a big old fuss. She eventually settled down in the nesting box and laid an egg with great fanfare afterwards. I am a vet tech and can take an x-ray if it is recommended. Any suggestions?

2. melliebellie

Apr 14, 2013
    Tucson, AZ.
    Could the issue be the photoperiod? About 12 hours of daylight right now.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Ameraucana are very interesting birds. Mine do things my other birds wouldn't think of doing. One of those is not-laying more than laying. Mine will lay and then stop for weeks at a time. Hopefully that's what your's is doing.

(I'm talking about a purebred Ameraucana, not an Easter Egger. Those lay pretty steadily...)

Yours doesn't sound broody. And, she shouldn't be molting at 7 months.

I bet she just began laying, and when birds first start, they're very sketchy about keeping it up. Maybe she's just figuring out that she should be laying daily...

One other thing, chickens are extremely sneaky about hiding where they lay when they leave the nest boxes. Could you coop her for a couple of days just to make sure she isn't laying?

4. melliebellie

Apr 14, 2013
    Tucson, AZ.
    I can try. She will be most displeased. Thanks for the advice!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    yep, shortening days...add an early morning light if you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by