My Ameraucana is changing colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jlgoinggreen, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have a Blue Ameraucana who is a little over a year old who seems to be changing colors. Is this normal? He used to be a beautiful blue/grey color and now some of his feathers are turning a dark greyish/brownish color. Is he gettin sick?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i've heard of that happening in easter eggers but not pure ameraucanas are you sure he isn't an easter egger? color changing feather would not indicate sickness, no. do you have before/after pics?

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Hi Jennifer,

Being a blue, does it look like he may have some copper leakage coming through? Just a thought. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sounds like sunbleaching to me.

If they're turning a dun type dusty brown color, it's just old sunbleached feathers. It happens. If they're turning a glistening gold or white - It's leakage and not a good thing.

5. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Yes I'm positive he's pure. The farm I bought my eggs from only breeds true Ameraucana. No other birds on his farm. Not even meat birds. He does not like EEs (I don't mind them).

It's been raining horribly here, so haven't been able to get any pics.

6. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:Are you sure it's even the feathers changing colors? If you're having heavy rains, could it be soil staining? Do you have clay or iron deposits in your area?

7. geweldig23

geweldig23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2010
    Ohio
    It probably is sunbleaching. Do you have a run where he has outside access all day long?
    My hatchery roosters that I keep in our layer pen are really blue but appear to be almost a reddish brown because they are outside all day long. Its normal and nothing wrong is happening to your bird [​IMG]

8. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:Ok, might be sun bleached then. there is no white or copper, just a little dull brown in the ends if his feathers. They start off grey/blue, then have the brown on the end. Not all the feathers, just on some. Didn't think about that. The sun has been beaming over here and he doesn't seem to want to stay in the shade.

Thank you.

9. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Thanks everyone. I'm just worry a lot and thought maybe something missing in his diet.

Yes, he's out in the run all day. We have a shaded spot under the coop with a fan, but he'd rather be out in the hot sun. Lol

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It really isn't very sunny out here either and yet my previous blue cock was quite dun looking when he was sold. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by