My ameraucana is getting fiesty!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamas15, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mamas15

mamas15 New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    On the subject of behaviors - I have an Ameraucana that is getting feisty! She has started hanging with my 2 Buff Orpingtons who are both sweethearts - calm, friendly and love attention. when she sees me giving them attention she comes running up close to me -eyeing me and has delivered some mean pecks, one tearing my skin. I don't know if she is jealous or is trying to protect them. If one jumps on my lap she flies up too and gives me 'that' look. She used to be somewhat of a loner and was low girl in the pecking order but now seems to have found her 2 allies in the buffs! Would welcome any comments - I have 6 hens; they are 6 months old and have been laying several weeks - I get between 3-5 eggs a day and the ameraucana has been a consistent layer with beautiful blue/green eggs.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you have only pullets, this one may have taken on the role of cockerel and is in fact protecting her flock from you.
    ....or it could just be hormonal, new layers can exhibit some strange behavior. She may settle down in a month or so.

When she pecks you, 'peck' her back with the end of your finger at her beak/head to let her know you rank above her.

3. mamas15

mamas15 New Egg

Oct 9, 2014
    Thanks for the tips! I'm new to this chicken keeping but am loving every minute of it - they are fascinating and wonderful. Just had one-on-one time with Henrietta, one of my orps because Annie, the ameraucana is in the coop laying her daily egg[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by