1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My "Ameraucana" isn't laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bowserella, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Bowserella

Bowserella Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Hey everybody!

I need some help. I have two chickens that turned 6 months old on Dec. 2. One is a wyandotte and the other is an ameraucana (or easter egger). The wyandotte started laying the sweetest little eggs right at 6 months. A day or two later the ameraucana laid a tiny little egg with no yolk. She has not laid one since but the wyandotte produces one each day. I expected some sporadic egg laying in the beginning but I guess I thought it would more like an egg every few days not a week or more in between eggs. So, now I am getting worried - is my ameraucana okay? Is there something we should do to encourage her to lay? Thanks for any advice with this.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Is there any chance she could be hiding her egg in a secret nesting spot?

3. Bowserella

Jul 1, 2014
    I feel like I have searched the coop and run pretty thoroughly but I will keep searching. So i guess it's not normal for her to not have laid any other eggs?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It could be the long nights and short day that is delaying onset of lay.

What are you feeding?

Maybe don't let them out of the coop into the run until mid afternoon and put some fake eggs in the coop nest.

5. Bowserella

Jul 1, 2014
    Okay so today I heard a terrible racket in the coop and this little girl came running out. I thought, "finally, she laid another egg!" I checked the coop and nothing. She sounded clearly distressed. Could she be egg bound? I'm a new chicken owner so I am not sure of the signs or how to resolve it. Does anyone have any advice or links they could share with me? Also, how likely would this be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by