My Ameraucana just laid 2 Eggs in One Day!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by outdoorzgirl, Dec 22, 2010.

1. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    I did not even know chickens could lay 2 eggs in one day, but my Ameraucana did just that today. I got my first egg from her Saturday. She also laid Monday, Tuesday, and today. I know it had to be her because my other 4 hens are Rhode Island Reds. How common is this? I also find it odd that she has laid an egg every day except Sunday since I do not supplement them with extra light and it has barely got above freezing the past 2 weeks. I thought they needed more daylight hours to lay daily. How is it even possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs in a day and is it common? She sure is off to a great start!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Mine lays almost everyday as well. She may take one day off a week. She's a trooper. I have heard of chickens that may lay one really early in the day and then one really late. But, I don't think it happens too often.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

One of my bantam EEs lays every other day- TWO eggs!!! One right after another.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Does she chew DOUBLE mint?

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut

[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

[​IMG]

hahaha! The eggs are minty looking indeed! I love those green eggs. [​IMG]

7. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    The eggs are so pretty! I had an Ameraucana as a child and I used to love gathering her eggs. I always told myself if I ever got chickens again, I would get another. They have the cutest personalities. I believe I am going to get a few more:D

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Go for it....u only live once. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:How old is your Ameraucana? I have 5 LF EEs that I am waiting on to start laying. I know they are reputed to take forever to start laying sometimes.

10. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

Congrats on your 2 eggs in a day hen! That is great! I had that experience once and it shocked me. But it was just an awesome experience! I have gotten double yolk eggs too. I think that you will probably have that occur with your folk too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by