1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Ameraucanas not laying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by candira, Aug 24, 2015.

1. candira

candira Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Ok, I'm back again for advice, I have 2 Ameraucanas and I noticed a few days ago that 1 hasn't laid for probably close to a week now. Today I got to looking at her and noticed her comb is quite pale. It's seems like it may have gotten smaller too, but that could be my imagination, as she's never had much of a comb anyway. I'm fine without her daily egg, but I hope she's not sick or something. I haven't added any new chickens to my flock or changed anything, so I'm not sure..? She is around 7 or 8 months old. Any advice is appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    ~Candice

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    She is still very young and maybe didn't get into the groove of laying regularly. Is she acting NORMAL and eating and all other functions look OK,??? Then all will normalize soon enough.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Ok thanks, I will try to pay more attention in the next couple days. I didn't pay much attention to this before but I have noticed the last few days that she goes up in the coop and roosts much earlier than the other chickens, but so far haven't noticed anything else?! But thanks, that makes me feel a little better, hopefully she will snap out of it soon!

1 person likes this.
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Try worming them...pale comb, listless, off in laying, could be a sign of worm overload if there is no other sign of illness (nicking, coughing, runny noses or eyes).

I like to use Rooster Booster Triple Action Multi Wormer which you can get at the feed store...there is no egg pull and it is FDA approved for laying hens. It covers the three most common worm types. Feed daily by adding to feed for about 2 weeks, then seasonally.

You can also use off label wormers, such as Fenbendazole (Panacure or Safeguard) or Wazine. Fenbendazole covers more worm types while Wazine only covers round worms.

And if you are having a heat spell, that can throw them off of laying as well.

Also, is she molting? Look for her feathers floating in the coop. They won't lay while molting.

LofMc

5. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Thanks for the advice, as I was reading it I was watching her and she was outside scratching around like all the other chickens. She doesn't have any other symptoms and otherwise seems perfectly healthy! And no she doesn't seem to be losing any feathers. The only other symptom besides the pale comb and not laying, is she goes to bed early. Which she may have done all along, I just never noticed. Also the weather here in Texas has been really hot for most of august! I think I will hold out for a while longer, and just see what happens! I really appreciate the advice! I'm happy that no one gave me any terrible news about this! Hopefully she will get over it soon! Thanks again!! :D

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture I my girl that I just took!

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you free range, she may be laying out in the range area.
    Might need to keep her cooped up for a few days to re-habituate her to laying in the coop nests.

7. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    I have been hunting for the last couple days and haven't found any eggs anywhere else. But I should say I'm not the best egg hunter in the world! They did have an nest outside of the coop once and I never saw it even though it was right next to me, it took my son saying "mommy there's a chicken under the bikes" and sure enough, a chicken (not her) and several eggs. But they haven't laid there since! Also there was 2 days that I had to leave them in the run during this time and she didn't lay then either. So I'm pretty sure she has stopped laying for now although I don't know why. But I really appreciate all the suggestions and comments! I don't know what I would do without this site! Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe confine them longer, the longer the habit the longer it can take to break.
    If they are used to free ranging, it may take longer for them to get used to being confined to get past the stress point and start laying again.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
    Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
    They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week or more, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
    You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If I did that to my girls, they would use their 2nd Amendment rights against me. [​IMG]
    If that didn't work, then they would notify the Chicken protective services and have me put in the Big house . [​IMG]
    If that failed, I think they are well enough organized to call a walkout and strike. [​IMG]

10. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Uhh! I hate to bother everyone again, but I feel like I've waited patiently and tried everyone's suggestions, but still no eggs from her. It's not sparatic, it's non at all! She's hasn't laid a single egg in about a month and a week to maybe even close to a month a 3ish weeks. It took me a while to notice. I've tried looking it up the last thing I can do is ask if anyone has experienced this with one of their chickens? And if so, what was the outcome? I just don't know if she will ever lay again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by